PLEASE HELP!!!!!

PDS3

In the Brooder
Oct 30, 2016
Australia
Hi everyone!

Can you still treat Marek's disease after 24 hours of a chick being born?

I need to know urgently, because my time is almost up and I am worried that we will not make it to the vet in time!

Please help me!

Thanks

PDS3

If you mean vaccinate, then I would imagine that a few hours over the first 24 hours will be fine (or better than nothing, at least)

I would also be extremely surprised if a veterinary practice will offer a Marek's Vaccine. It is not something that they would routinely keep in stock, so unless they are aware of the purpose of your intended visit and have prepared for it, then you may be waiting longer than another 24hrs whilst they order it in, particularly at this time of year. It will also be quite expensive I believe because the vaccine comes in a large quantity designed to innocculate 1000 birds and cannot be purchased as a single unit.

The idea with vaccinating chicks for Marek's is to do it as early as possible so that they have time to build up immunity before they are exposed to it. You need to practice good biosecurity for several weeks after vaccination to allow antibodies to be produced, before exposing them to any risk.

Personally, as someone with Marek's in their flock, I would not vaccinate. There is research to suggest that with this virus, the vaccine is actually causing it to mutate to more resistant and virulent strains. I breed from my surviving birds and broody rear within the infected flock and that is working for me.

If you mean vaccinate, then I would imagine that a few hours over the first 24 hours will be fine (or better than nothing, at least)
Yes, I did mean vaccinate, sorry about the bad language! Thanks so much that is really helpful!

I would also be extremely surprised if a veterinary practice will offer a Marek's Vaccine. It is not something that they would routinely keep in stock, so unless they are aware of the purpose of your intended visit and have prepared for it, then you may be waiting longer than another 24hrs whilst they order it in, particularly at this time of year. It will also be quite expensive I believe because the vaccine comes in a large quantity designed to innocculate 1000 birds and cannot be purchased as a single unit.

The idea with vaccinating chicks for Marek's is to do it as early as possible so that they have time to build up immunity before they are exposed to it. You need to practice good biosecurity for several weeks after vaccination to allow antibodies to be produced, before exposing them to any risk.

Personally, as someone with Marek's in their flock, I would not vaccinate. There is research to suggest that with this virus, the vaccine is actually causing it to mutate to more resistant and virulent strains. I breed from my surviving birds and broody rear within the infected flock and that is working for me.
Wow, that is interesting. I will definitely have to consider this, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom