Please Help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pippy1, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Pippy1

Pippy1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2017
    On Friday 24th, I bought tiny chicks that I was told were a couple of days old from IFA.
    I bought 2 buff orpingtons., 2 black australorps, 1 barred rock, 1 Rhode Island Red, and 2 Ameraucnas.
    One ameraucana died a short time later that day and the "warranty" was still good and so I went back and got another ameraucana. They have all been doing great and growing and very active until today. Had a little pasty butt with both of the Orpingtons, but gently removed and fed scrambled egg and they have been good. Today one Americana was dead this morning when I got up. I couldn't see anything wrong with her, just lying there dead. Now, I just found the second Ameraucana laying there dead and a whole bunch of her intestines were outside her body and the other chicks were pecking at them and eating them. So both Ameraucanas are gone! I don't know what is happening! Help! They were very active and growing and eating great and looked fine! Feathers starting to grow etc.! I think the first one that died during the night had probably the same thing,but the others had eaten the intestines and so I didn't see them. Please help! What is wrong? Could it just be this breed- one died the first day, now the other two! So sad! I don't want to loose the rest if I can do something! None of the others have pasty butt and there had been no pecking of the rear end either.

2. Maybe the temperature is too hot or cold. Have you been giving medicated feed? How big is the brooder?:welcome

3. Pippy1

Mar 2, 2017
    Hi,
    Now both Orpingtons are dead! I have got to figure this out if I can! It is so weird! One minute they are just fine....active, eating trying to fly and the next dead. I just watched the one die. She was pecking food all active like and then just slumped right in the feeder. That fast!
    I have a heat lamp and a thermometer that is reading 89 by the lamp and would be cooler on the other side. I am feeding mannapro non -medicated organic non gmo chick starter crumble.
    They are in 27 gallon tote, but I am going to get something bigger because they are starting to be able to fly.......just in these 7 days since I got them they have started flying up.
    What in the world is going on? I am so sad!

4. Pippy1

Mar 2, 2017
    I am putting a tiny amount of apple cider vinegar in the water. The chicken lady Patera from Appalachia homestead does this. I'm only putting like a fourth of a teaspoon in the water dish. I have been doing this since day one and again in these 7 days they have started to grow little wing feathers and seemed like they were thriving! I put pine shavings in etc. I did give them bread once several days ago. I put some lettuce and tomato a few days ago, but they didn't really know what to make of it that much and didn't really eat it and so I took it out.

5. ginger7

ginger7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2013
    I think the intestines might have been outside just as a result of the others pecking.

How are you doing today?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by