Please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crystlfaith921, Mar 25, 2017.

1. crystlfaith921

crystlfaith921 New Egg

Mar 25, 2017
    [​IMG]I found my one year old rooster half dead with several puncture wounds to his head and cone both eyes were closed shut his neck feathers are missing can anyone tell me what may have caused this and what I can do to help him this happened a week ago and he is still very weak and can barely walk his feathers almost seem like they have oil on them

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  2. Yemimah

Yemimah Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2017
    woo! Did you try iron free pediaric vitamins in small amount of water? Or nutri drench? Sounds like an animal got a hold of him . I would give him a quiet cardboard box to rest in- turn the box on its side and keep him warm. Did you clean the wounds ? A secondary infection from the wounds can kill him ! Clean them and blukote after drying the wounds from cleaning them. Most predators have dirty mouths from scavenging. He probably needs a lot of TLC for a while . Mild injuries take at least 2 weeks to heal and severe ones ...well ,they will take longer.

3. crystlfaith921

crystlfaith921 New Egg

Mar 25, 2017
    Yes I have clean his wounds the best I can without him freaking out on me I can tell which parts are sensitive and which ones aren't he is crowing eating and drinking on his own and I put a hen in with him and he tried to have relations with her LOL so I think he is going to make it I'm just curious as to how he got the injuries I suspected that they come from another rooster but the only other two that I have in my yard are both juveniles and hardly have any Spurs to do any damage with so I don't think that they did it to him. He has always been the dominant one. I've been giving him baby aspirin and cleaning his wounds every day to the best of my ability I haven't noticed any infection except for maybe in his left eye a little bit of pus do you know if I can put any kind of antibiotic in his eye thanks for your reply

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  4. Yemimah

Yemimah Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2017
    Thi is clear to me that it is an animal if indeed his feathers are gone on his neck.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old are the juvenile cockerels? If they are starting to mature, it was probably one or both of them that beat him. They need to be separated and decisions on who you are keeping should be made. I would pay attention to his eyes especially, and Vetericyn eye gel or eye wash are good. Saline works fine too. Look for any signs of infection, but hopefully he didn't get any eye damage.

6. crystlfaith921

crystlfaith921 New Egg

Mar 25, 2017
    The juveniles are about 4 to 6 months old. I didn't know if they could do that much damage to him without Spurs, because they only have little nubs for spurs,but all the research I've done about his injuries is consistent with another rooster attacking him. I think if it was an owl or hawk he wouldn't be alive and there aren't any other animals around that would hurt him. I've separated all three roosters and I'm looking for a home for one of them, I'm gonna try to keep the most submissive one and see how they get along once Gus (my injured rooster) is completely healed. His right eye looks great but his left eye is partially swollen shut but he can still see out of it,I did see a small amount of puss around it. Where can I get vetericyn? All I have here is triple antibiotic ointment and some antibiotic eye drops for people.thanks for the help

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    What are the antibiotic eye drops? Vetericyn comes from feed stores, and is pricey ranging from $20-25. You can also use Terramycin eye ointment from a feedstore (ask a clerk for it), but the drops might be better depending on the antibiotic. In an emergency, I have used plain neosporin. Ointments cloud the vision, so eye drops would be my choice if you can get back to us. Clean any pus or gunk out with saline an a Qtip.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by