Please help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by muffins, Apr 14, 2017.

1. muffins

muffins New Egg

Apr 13, 2017
    I just ordered fifty chicks from a hatchery. They arrived Wednesday. Nine were DOA and two died within the hour after receiving them. Since then, I've had three more die, one today and two yesterday. The hatchery says they probably have coccidiosis and said to treat with 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar to one quart of water. Is this standard practice? It seems like a lot of vinegar. Would something else be better?
    I have another sick looking one. It stands and bows it's head like it's drooping over and is becoming progressively lethargic! Please help! I've never had such an issue before with mail order chicks! It's been pretty depressing!

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    That's not going to do anything for coccidiosis, ignore that. If you think it's coccidiosis you need to go get some Corid and start treatment with that.

Other things could be at play here too. Can you describe their brooder? The temp you're keeping them at? Did you add anything to their water to give them a boost after shipping? Poultry Nutri Drench is great for that and if you haven't used it I recommend you get some and start adding it to their because if they are sick it'll give them a boost and help them keep going until the treatment kicks in.

3. Stephine

Stephine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2016
    Sonoma
    Which hatchery is that??
    It is much more likely that they got stressed in shipping. They are newly hatched aren't they? Cocci takes a little while to show up. Also, ACV is not a treatment for cocci. Are you feeding them medicated feed? If so, they should be safer from cocci already. If you don't, you can get liquid Corrid and add that to their water, (search BYC for the dosis) but it is highly unlikely that that is it. Where do you live, where do they cone from and how long were they traveling?

4. Stephine

Stephine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2016
    Sonoma
    When it's not cocci: Make sure they drink - add save-a-chick or other electrolytes and vitamins for chickens to their water. If you have nothing in the house add some sugar to their drinking water to give them energy until they eat well. Make sure the temperature in the brooder is right, have tour heatlamp at one end with 90-95 degrees under it and make sure there is enough space for the other end of the brooder to be cooler, so the chicks can self regulate their temperature. I always feed a few tiny raisin bits in the first hour, they like them and it gives them energy quickly.

5. muffins

muffins New Egg

Apr 13, 2017
    Thanks everyone. Good to know about the cocci. The woman I spoke with on the phone yesterday from the hatchery was less then polite, and I'm a very non confrontational person so I was a tad upset.
    I'm not sure what's going on. They are in a shed outside with heat lamps, and pine shavings. I gave the electrolyte solution. I had two more die this am.
    I am wondering if it's temp fluctuation? It stays around 95 but I have to adjust the heat lamps in the day (cooler) due to outside temps.
    They seem fine and then one will start it's head drooping, and increasing lethargy. I will pick them up and they look fine and then it seems to close it's eyes and fall asleep in my hand and lay there limp. They seem to have darkness under the eye too.
    I've been giving medicated chick start and cleaning the brooder and changing water regularly.
    This is driving me nuts!

6. muffins

muffins New Egg

Apr 13, 2017
    I should also probably mention that I received an additional batch of birds from the east coast(I live in Ca) that looked amazing on thurs. except one that has been looking skyward (I guess it's called stargazing?) and a small one that seems to be having labored breathing. Another of these chicks seems to be doing the gazing but not as dramatically. Any tips?

7. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Your brooder should be warmer at one end, and cooler at the other, so the chicks can move around as they feel warm or cool off. Did you put each chick's beak in the waterer as you unpacked them? They will be thirsty on arrival, and need to find water immediately. How long were they in transit? Picked up at the post office immediately? I have NEVER had such advise from a hatchery!!! It sounds like you talked to the wrong person (rude too?); not a good story. What are you feeding? What's the mill date on the feed bag? I'm so sorry for your losses, and hope things improve soon. Mary

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    First of all, brooder should only be warmed on one side and the opposite should be room temp. Second, they can't get coccidia unless they have had access to soil. It doesn't just magically show up. Third, apple cider vinegar will do absolutely nothing to treat it.
    What are you feeding?

9. muffins

muffins New Egg

Apr 13, 2017
    I'm so glad to hear about the ACV. It seemed a bit odd to me. I will not be ordering from there again. Like I said, never had this much trouble ever before with mail orders...kind of crazy...
    The birds came from Mo. Shipped Monday and I picked them up as soon as I was called which was 12 noon on Wed. The second came from MD shipped tues and picked up thurs. They looked way better. Dipped all beaks right away. Giving feed from Tractor supply I forget the brand but it's Chick Start.

I've been hesitant to merge the two groups bc of all the death, but maybe I can better manage the heat lamps that way.

10. muffins

muffins New Egg

Apr 13, 2017
    Thanks so much for the tips. I'm going to go check brooder temp again...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by