Please help

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by xxmj2002xx, Apr 23, 2017.

1. xxmj2002xx

xxmj2002xx New Egg

Apr 16, 2017
    I am currently incubating three eggs to start off with and they are all close to hatching. What would you feed a chick when it hatches? And what would you feed chickens in general?

Thanks,
    Mollie

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Mollie - I see that you have started a thread on New members introductions before. In order to get the best advice, its best to look at the different forums and select which is the most appropriate to start a thread on. In this case it would be the "raising baby chicks" forum.

Chick / starter feed is the most appropriate feed for chicks. Its ground into finer particles than other feed and is nutritionally balanced for chicks.

As for chickens in general. General flock feed, with optional oyster shell (i.e. in a separate feeder) is a good way to go, as you can meet the dietary requirements of chickens of all ages, whilst providing calcium for the layers, in the form of oyster shell.

These links on raising chicks may be helpful:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-and-raising-chicks
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/raising-your-baby-chicks
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...ks-the-first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens

1 person likes this.
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Great advice there from CT and I would certainly second it!

Good luck with your hatch :fl

4. xxmj2002xx

xxmj2002xx New Egg

Apr 16, 2017

I was wondering if you could help me. My eggs all have air sacs growing but i cant see veins or blood vessels developing on the egg walls. Is this a bad thing?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  5. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Are they chicken eggs? What day are they on?

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. xxmj2002xx

xxmj2002xx New Egg

Apr 16, 2017

They are chicken eggs. The first one is now on day 10, the second on day 9 and the third is on day 8

8. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    so you are looking at 11 days, 12 days and 13 days until hatch... what kind of chicken eggs are they

9. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

What colour are the eggs? Do you have a good candler? Are you candling in the dark to get the best result?
    I would recheck the eggs when they reach day 14. Sometimes they can appear not to be developing when they actually are. I don't discard anything until I'm sure on day 14.

Here is a good link with great pics ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/development-of-a-chicken-embryo-day-by-day

10. xxmj2002xx

xxmj2002xx New Egg

Apr 16, 2017

Ive spoken to my friend who has experience in raising chickens and she says they are light brown maran eggs, which i believe the chicken breed is maran, and all I use is a hole cut into a box with the egg in the hole and the iphone torch underneath. It gives me enough light to see the air sac and embroyo (sorry if mispelt) but i have never been able to spot blood vessels which has worried me.

Here are some pictures of the egg which is on day 10:

[​IMG]

And this is the air sac:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by