Please Help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jxsmin, Apr 26, 2017.

1. jxsmin

jxsmin Just Hatched

Apr 26, 2017
    I just bought this baby chick and my family and I were wondering why it's neck looks like this. We believe it has to do with a disease or lice/parasites. Any info is appreciated [​IMG]

2. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmmmmmm...were you told what breed it was? It looks like a Naked Neck to me. Nothing to do lice or parasites. I could be wrong though.

And Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi [​IMG]Welcome To BYC

Are you asking about the chick having just skin on the neck or about the neck "position"?
    Do you have any other photos of her?

As @mustangrooster states, the "skin" portion look like she is a naked neck.

If she is keeping her head crooked all the time, then she may be suffering from Wry Neck. Offer her some wet chick starter and poultry vitamins that contain Vitamin E and B. I believe Poultry Nutri-Drench has both.

Let us know how she is doing.

1 person likes this.
  4. jxsmin

jxsmin Just Hatched

Apr 26, 2017
    I looked more into it and it does look like a naked neck I'll post more pics[​IMG]

5. jxsmin

jxsmin Just Hatched

Apr 26, 2017
    [​IMG]

6. jxsmin

jxsmin Just Hatched

Apr 26, 2017
    [​IMG]

7. jxsmin

jxsmin Just Hatched

Apr 26, 2017
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  8. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    I'm thinking it maybe a Turken chick, you should ask what breed from where you got the chick.

1 person likes this.
  9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    @Chicknanny , it very well could be a Turken[​IMG] Haha! @jxsmin you may want to post on the "what breeds" forum and see what everyone thinks https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this She/he is a cute little thing.

I do have a few questions for you - I notice you have some corn/scratch scattered on the floor of your brooder - are you providing some chick grit (crushed granite) free choice? Your chick will need that in order to process the corn.

Also are you providing chick starter and does your chick have a source of heat?
    Is this the only chick that you have? If so, you may want to consider getting a couple more so it's not lonely.
    Just some thoughts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by