1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DuckieWebs, May 6, 2017.

1. DuckieWebs

DuckieWebs New Egg

Apr 30, 2017
    I am new to owning chickens. I own three Rhode Island reds but one of them has recently lost a bunch of weight. She feels lighter than she did a week ago. They are only five weeks old. She eats and drinks fine. Her poop is fine. She just seems to be losing a bunch of weight. The other two chicks are fine they feel like their normal weight but when I pick up Mamacita it's like holding nothing in my hand. I'm so worried about her. She sleeps all the time while the other two are playing. She just seems very lethargic:( I want to help her but I don't know how :( please help. Will post pics if that would help :(

(Ps. I put them out back in their coop during the day then bring them inside at night, since it's still too cold for them and they are scared of the dark)

2. DuckieWebs

DuckieWebs New Egg

Apr 30, 2017
    Is this normal for chickens? :(

3. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    I think it could be coccidiosis which is common for that age. Unfortunately many young chickens die from it, if that's what it is. You can try corid powder mixed in the drinking water but if she isn't drinking or eating any more, there's probably not much you can do. If you do see blood in the droppings, it would confirm it's coccidiosis. I'm sorry :-( Having chickens as pets is very hard since they are lost to both predators and illness frequently. If it's any consolation, I do have a bird (a show silkie) that lost a lot of weight around that age but is still alive and still thin. I trimmed her feathers around her eyes since I first thought maybe she just couldn't see the food very well. I didn't treat her with anything since we're trying to go organic this time. I think genetically some birds are just weaker than others too.

4. DuckieWebs

DuckieWebs New Egg

Apr 30, 2017
    Thank you! I will try corid powder, :) she still eats and drinks for now and I haven't seen any blood in her poop but I will keep an eye out for it! Thanks for the help! :)
    [​IMG]
    Mamacita thanks you too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by