Please help

Pics

UnbakedPegga

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 4, 2014
i have a 3 year old orpington hen. She has had respiratory issues for The last year and a half. She would cough and mouth breathe. I have had her to the vet a couple of times and he just says it as a respiratory issue, he did not specify what exactly it is. She has always been healthy, except when she moulted she really lost weight. For about the last week and a half she is not herself. She is not laying, She is eating, but not as much. She still drinks water. She is dull and apathetic. We had a really unusual heat spell for 2 weeks which just broke on Thursday. She seemed really affected by that. She didn’t hold her wings away from her body but she mouth breathed continuously. The other 3 didn’t seem affected nearly as much. I kept ice water out for them and put a fan out for them. They have plenty of shade, and I clean the chicken coop every day I have cooked eggs for her and whatever I can get her to eat. I bought some oxine yesterday and I couldn’t get it to work in my vaporiser so I am getting a nebulizer today. I misted some in her face last night. She is no better this morning. In desperation I gave her an injection of Tylan. The fact she is not coughing makes me wonder if it is a respiratory issue at all. So when I picked her up to give her the injection I was so dismayed at how thin she was. The feathers hide so much. She has not moulted this year. I checked her for mites or lice but I did not see any. Her comb and wattles are pale and when I picked her up she started mouth breathing really bad. I found some wazine in the garage. I don’t know how old it is but I am desperate to help her. I put it in a gallon of water per directions. I don’t know what to do. I lost a much loved hen this past spring. I had her to the vet 3 times. He said her lungs sounded bad. He gave her an antiobiotic Gave me some to give her at home. He also gave her an injection for worms and I requested and got some for the other 4 . She seemed a little better for a few days but then got worse again. I took her to the vet and she died when I took her to the vet, in his exam room. Then my brother died in July and I had to have my sweet little cat euthanized 2 weeks ago. He was 14 and the vet thought he had cancer. He lost so much weight. 2 vets visits and euthanization cost me $495! I am still trying to get over that and now little Blossum. I don’t know what I will do if I lose her. I am widowed and on a fixed income and between vet visits for my buff in the spring and then my cat I have about depleted my savings. Is there any thing else I can do for her? I am so upset

Yes I have Tylan. I gave her 0.6 cc this morning. Should I give her any tonight. I also have a nebulizer and I may give her some oxine in that tonight. I don’t want to worry her to death. I got her to eat a couple of bites of scrambled egg and a couple of bites of yogurt but nothing else she hasn’t separated herself from the flock

Based on the current symptoms you are describing, (pale comb, and wattles, thin, lethargic) I would stop the Tylan, and treat with Safe-Guard goat wormer. Do not inject it. You can tube it. Another way is to hold the chicken, open it's mouth, tilt it's head back, put the tip of the dosage syringe on the bird's right side, (on your left, if your facing the bird) in it's mouth, and gently squirt some of the dose in it's mouth, being careful not to put too much, or let any get into the airway. Let go of it's head, so it can swallow, then open it's mouth again, position the dosage syringe again, and finish giving it the rest of the dose. (I have large fowl, so the dose is big enough they have to get it in two mouthfuls, but you may be able to do it in one).

I had to have my little hen euthanized today (I can’t say her name or I will start crying again) I took her to the vet and she had lice that apparently crawled up in her vent (he said) and got into her lungs causing granulomas. I made him take an X-ray just so I could be sure. He said she had very little lung function left, that it was never going to get any better and “she is going to die anyway”. He was so nonchalant. I saw the X-ray so I knew it was the truth. I had gotten medicine for lice and mites in the spring and that vet did not tell me I would have to treat again to get the nits, so I didn’t and this is the result. He gave me 1cc of what he said was Ivermection. He said to put it in a sprayer bottle and spray my surviving 3 every other day for 3 weeks. I asked how much water should be in the sprayer bottle and he held up the bottle of water and said “this much” I said should I lift up their feathers and he “said “if they will let you” so I left there without my pet but left $245 of my money there but I would have paid 3x that if I thought she could be saved. And I still don’t trust him so I will never know. When I mixed up the medicine I thought “there is no way this will last 3 weeks” I called them and the receptionist said that if I ran out I could come by there and get more I asked her what the strength of the medicine was and she said “honey I don’t know, he never writes stuff down” there are only 2 vets that I could find that treat chickens. One was not in the office today and this was the other one. So that long story is to ask if someone know the dose of the ivermectin that you put under each wing, above and below the vent and on the top of the head. This is the worst day I have had in a while:(

Based on the current symptoms you are describing, (pale comb, and wattles, thin, lethargic) I would stop the Tylan, and treat with Safe-Guard goat wormer. Do not inject it. You can tube it. Another way is to hold the chicken, open it's mouth, tilt it's head back, put the tip of the dosage syringe on the bird's right side, (on your left, if your facing the bird) in it's mouth, and gently squirt some of the dose in it's mouth, being careful not to put too much, or let any get into the airway. Let go of it's head, so it can swallow, then open it's mouth again, position the dosage syringe again, and finish giving it the rest of the dose. (I have large fowl, so the dose is big enough they have to get it in two mouthfuls, but you may be able to do it in one).

I had to have my little hen euthanized today (I can’t say her name or I will start crying again) I took her to the vet and she had lice that apparently crawled up in her vent (he said) and got into her lungs causing granulomas. I made him take an X-ray just so I could be sure. He said she had very little lung function left, that it was never going to get any better and “she is going to die anyway”. He was so nonchalant. I saw the X-ray so I knew it was the truth. I had gotten medicine for lice and mites in the spring and that vet did not tell me I would have to treat again to get the nits, so I didn’t and this is the result. He gave me 1cc of what he said was Ivermection. He said to put it in a sprayer bottle and spray my surviving 3 every other day for 3 weeks. I asked how much water should be in the sprayer bottle and he held up the bottle of water and said “this much” I said should I lift up their feathers and he “said “if they will let you” so I left there without my pet but left $245 of my money there but I would have paid 3x that if I thought she could be saved. And I still don’t trust him so I will neverknow. When I mixed up the medicine I thought “there is no way thiswill last 3 weeks” I called them and the receptionist said that if I ranout I could come by there and get more I asked her what the strength of the medicine was and she said “honey I don’t know, he never writes stuff down” there are only 2 vets that I could find that treat chickens. One was not in the office today and this was the other one. So that long story is to ask if someone know the dose of the ivermectin that you put under each wing, above and below the vent and on the top of the head. This is the worst day I have had in a while:(

Back
Top Bottom