Please help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MorganDai, Sep 25, 2018.

1. MorganDai

MorganDai In the Brooder

Jul 6, 2018
    I have a six week old silkie chick who isn’t acting right. Her siblings are hopping around and playing and she is cowered down and only wants to sleep. Her poops are normal however she will barely eat when presented with food or water. When picked up she barely chirps where as her siblings flip out and want down immediately.Any advice or help would be very much appreciated.

2. Wil781

Wil781 Songster

Apr 29, 2018
    Central Alabama
    When did the lethargy start? First thing I would do is give her a drop or two of Nutri-Drench straight to the beak to get some minerals and vitamins in her and give her a few drops of water at a time via a medicine dropper, put in right side of her mouth not down the center because that will drown her. Try wetting some of her feed mix a little soupy since she is so young and since she is not drinking, hopefully the boost from Nutri-Drench will get her hungry.

Hopefully someone with more experience will chirp in soon. Good luck with your baby!

Abriana, DobieLover and townchicks like this.
  3. MorganDai

MorganDai In the Brooder

Jul 6, 2018
    It started around two days ago. Do you know if tractor supply would have these items ?

DobieLover likes this.
  4. Wil781

Wil781 Songster

Apr 29, 2018
    Central Alabama
    Yes Tractor Supply will have Nutri-Drench, it runs about $9 for 4 oz. She also may need a little heat since sick chicks seem to get chilled. First thing is get some fluids in her, take a small cup and try dipping the tip of her beak in the water and see if she will drink.

DobieLover and townchicks like this.
  5. Wil781

Wil781 Songster

Apr 29, 2018
    Central Alabama
    You should also separate her so you can monitor how much of the wet mash she eats. Could there be a bulling problem and other chicks are keeping her from food?

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I agree with the NutriDrench. Even though her poops look normal, since this age is very common for coccidiosis, I would treat for coccidiosis with some Corid in the water. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid per gallon of water for 5-7 days. It is safe for the other chicks to drink as well. Poops do not need to be bloody to be coccidiosis. Before starting the Corid, go ahead and give her a couple of drops of the NutriDrench, then stop it until after Corid is finished when you can use it for a few more days. Probiotics can be very good to use with the food to help increase immunity and weight gain.

7. MorganDai

MorganDai In the Brooder

Jul 6, 2018
    There is no bullying that I have seen I seperated her and put her under heat with a water dish and the food mash. I gave her two drops of the nutri drench.

8. MorganDai

MorganDai In the Brooder

Jul 6, 2018
    Can I use the Corid and nutri-drench together? And is Corid safe for poultry ? It says it’s for cows

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    DobieLover likes this.
  9. Wil781

Wil781 Songster

Apr 29, 2018
    Central Alabama
    Give her a couple drops of Nutri-Drench then stop and give the Corid for 5 - 7 days after which follow up with Nutri-Drench in water supply.

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    No, I would give the NutriDrench, plus some water, then discontinue it until after the Corid is finished. Vitamin B1 thiamine should not be given while on Corid.

WhiteWyan, DobieLover and townchicks like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: