please help

siz8003

Songster
12 Years
Jul 31, 2007
Fitz.,NH
i have a 6 week old roo and i have naticed that his feet curl under sometimes when he walks he has a hard time getting around and i feel bad for him he still eats and drinks and seems ok otherwise please help

Oh, poor roo! Can you unbend his toes at all? He might be too old, but you can make a sandal out of an old credit card cut to the shape of his foot, like a soft triangle and tape his toes straight onto the piece of credit card with medical tape or bandaids. Keep him separate for a week or so and see if that helps.
Just make sure his toes are not bound too tight so as to lose ciculation.
Keep us posted!

Without much detail;diet,living conditions....flock health, and PICS..its really hard to help. Might be bumble foot. Look it up....maybe mites? Look into that as well. Could be a vitamin deficiency....just hard to tell with such limited info and no pics.

Feet Symptom Possible Cause
Joints fixed... Tenosynovitis
Swollen foot pad... Infectious synovitis; bumblefoot
Toes curled... Nutritional deficiency-riboflavin; genetic; management deficiency
Foot pad cracked, dermatitis... Nutritional deficiency-biotin or pantothenic acid; management deficiency
Bird walks on toes... Tenosynovitis
Toes twisted... Genetic

This is from this website:

http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/diagext.htm

one hting is certain...the condition is not going to resolve on its own so I would give 4 drops of Polyvisol (liquid childrens vitamins with the B vitamins) for a week then taper off and bandage the foot (tape under and above with the digits in the correct place) and hopefully this will correct the matter.

the thing is that the legs or ok its just the feet he is eating the medic. chick food normal water and i looked for mites but i cant see anything hes not a fighter and was ok when i got him 4-5 weeks ago do you think he maybe spranged them?
sad.png

Quote:
it is why I advised the vitamins...there are many things and conditions (incl stress) which can cause malabsorption of nutrients... you can also purchase Avia Charge 2000 from McMurry or Strombergs (it is one of the few complete supplements I know of) and you can give this to your entire flock ) this would pretty much cover any situation where deficiency or ratio of nutrients to each other might be a problem... what exactly is his diet? (and yes the taping of the foot with the digits corectly placed forcing them into the proper position to my mind would be helpful no matter whatever is causing it)

I did it. His foot is ok. I did a sprint like thing,left it on a few days put him in a cage and today he is A O K!!!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom