PLEASE HELP!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tonismyth, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Tonismyth

Tonismyth Hatching

Apr 20, 2019
    Hey this is my first time incubating eggs and still very unsure of everything.

one of my incubated eggs just hatched a couple of hours ago and it's right leg is twisted. When it is lying on its front the leg is underneath it with its foot showing behind its bum. When the keet is on it's side it is able to move the leg but it is unable to get up or put weight on it. I have attached a photo of it on it's front and a photo off it's leg.
    20190420_230551.jpg 20190420_230522.jpg
    Just wondering what this could be and if there is anything I can do to help it

Attached Files:

casportpony likes this.
  2. Chloe+chickens=LOVE

Chloe+chickens=LOVE Songster

Jun 14, 2018
    casportpony likes this.
  3. Tonismyth

Tonismyth Hatching

Apr 20, 2019
  4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Wait at least 24 hours or more for the Chick to find its feet. I put those into a margarine container in the incubator till they are fully up on their feet. No food or water either.

5. Tonismyth

Tonismyth Hatching

Apr 20, 2019
    Thank you. If there is no improvement how long will I wait before I get it food and water? Is there anything I can do to help it? It is trying so hard to get on its feet but the right leg just wont come forward

casportpony and chickens really like this.
  6. chickens really

How old is it now?
    Some people try to help.. I'll cull after 3 days and no improvement. 24 hours it needs feed and water if all yolk is absorbed.

7. Tonismyth

Tonismyth Hatching

Apr 20, 2019
    It's about 14 hours old. It hatched a day late compared to the others could this be the reason? It's quite strong and feisty. Culling would be my last resort as the chicks are for my kids to learn about and take care off. So I would want to try to help it as best as I could but obviously if there is nothing I could do then culling would be they best option.

casportpony and chickens really like this.
  8. chickens really

14 hours is to little of time to wait. Give it over 24 hours because some find their feet well over 24 hours after hatch.

9. chickens really

I hatched last night and one was definitely struggling with feet. Webs closed. Left in incubator till this morning in a margarine container and fantastic now. Give it time..

Tonismyth likes this.
  10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Welcome to BYC!

That looks pretty serious and unlikely to correct itself. Many years ago I had one hatch like this, and with some creative hobbling and supportive care, it managed to survive and live a very good life.

@Eggcessive, what do you think?

Eggcessive and Tonismyth like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: