1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

please help!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by charliesgirl, May 8, 2009.

1. charliesgirl

charliesgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    MN
    i got a little feather footed bantam, looks to be a cochin, and it has spraddle legs. it knows where the food and water is, it just doesnt seem to be eating. ive seen it walk around but it seems ver very weak. i dipped its beak in the water and it drank a little and i put it back in the brooder and it hobbled back under the heat lamp.
    what can i do to help this poor little thing? what are the odds of it surviving? i got it when i went to the feed store and the guys pawned it off on me, thankfully my brooder is nearly empty, and now im getting very attatched to it.
    any advice is much appreciated!!!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Have you put a bandaid on the spraddle legs?

Keep dipping it's beak in the water.

3. charliesgirl

Mar 25, 2009
    MN
    i put one of those tiny bandaids around the legs and she wouldnt move at all. i left her for about 30 minutes cuz i figured she was just being stubborn and would move eventually... she didnt move an inch.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Give her time.

5. chickenmum

chickenmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Try putting her on a carpet or rug. You might have tried that, but in case you haven't thought of it...
    Might not be getting enough traction on the newspapers or whatever.[​IMG]:hugs

6. charliesgirl

Mar 25, 2009
    MN
    thank you all for your help! i am willing to try anything that might possibly help

7. cochinbantam-lover

cochinbantam-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Good luck with your little chickie!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by