1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. Saltiena

Saltiena Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Peach Bottom
    I need ALOT of help, i decided that for my coop i need a 7'x14' fence, we can sorda figure that out, but since we live in PA there are many hawks so a roof is neccassary,i don't even know where to begein, we have a chicken wire supplier but that is it

Question #1- How many posts wold i need for wire that is 7', (like 1 post every 3-4 ft)

Question #2-What material do i use for a roof (wood, exess chicken wire?)

Question #3-How do i keep the roof from like, caving in :eek:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  2. GoPups

GoPups Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    I don't know if you have a Lowe's near you, but at the one near me they have a 7.5'W x 13'D x 6' tall chain link dog run for less than $190.

3. Saltiena

Saltiena Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Peach Bottom
    There is a lowes in DE like 20 mins away, but does that have a roof?, if it does what is it made of, if no roof i would like one with, it isnt a problem to build it myself, but if there is somthing easier do tell

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  4. M&J IL

M&J IL Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2007
    Rockford Illinois
    Hello

My chicken run is a 8' wide X 12" long X 6' high. I used the 4th side of the dog run I bought as a roof panel and bought one extra to finish off the roof The extra panel is a dog run panel you can buy seperate at menards, lowes, Home Depot as a top. I fastened them with time clamps they sell to hook together the panels into custom dog runs. Panels cost around $40. This makes a very secure hawk proof cover.

5. GoPups

GoPups Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    I'm building my own roof out of a roll of chicken wire that cost me $13.

6. urbanhomesteader

urbanhomesteader Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2007
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Just a warning though. Chicken wire keeps chickens in but won't keep preditors like racoons out. They can bite right through it. Hardware cloth/woven wire is better.

7. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Saltiena, Keeping chickens in is easier than keeping predators out. I build my coops and runs with that in mind.

I cover my runs with steel sheets because I have trees near by and it also provides shade in the summer, keeps them dry when raining, and also provides shelter from the snow in winter, ( not to mention, I don't have to shovel the snow ).

Spacing poles every 3 feet will work fine.

The better wire you use will keep predators out and keep your flock safe.

bigzio

8. Blake

Blake Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2007
    Gurley,Al
    if your only having issues with flying critters getting your birds you can use heavy fishing line spacesd about 4 to 6 inches apart across the top.the birds wont mess with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by