Please help!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PippyChicken, Jul 22, 2010.

1. PippyChicken

PippyChicken Songster

Jul 2, 2009
    AL
    Our Mama hen hatched a baby chickie and I was worried about it because her other one died. He ccan't walk and won't open his eyes. He also sleeps alot and occasionally moves around.He also peeps sometimes. He had dried shell attached to him so I pulled it off. He is under a heat lamp by himself right now.I turned it off because he got too hot. I will turn it on in just a minute. He's drying off right now and I gave him some water with sugar in it. Is there anything else I can do? Also he's breathing a little fast and threw up some water. I really don't want to lost this precious baby so please help and let me know what I can do!! And the ants chewed up his comb so now he has 1 little spike left.There's no ants on him anymore.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  2. oesdog

oesdog Songster

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    It sounds like you have a little weak one. Sad that Mom isn;t handling having a chick. Be prepared that little weak ones sometimes don;t do that well.

When did it hatch????? You must keep your temperature steady in the brood box. It should be 95 !!!!!! Also your little chick should be able to get away from the heat if it wants to so that it doesn;t get dehydrated. In my brood box, I just used a large cardboard box with a normal light bulb over it with a lamp dimmer on and a fish tank temperature guage. So I could make sure the temp was ok.

If you have a soft toy to put in with it, it will be better as they don;t like being alone and fret. You can dip its beak into water gently. Also infant vitamin drops are good to put into the water. Keep dipping his little beak into water and make sure he lifts his head to clear the water each time. you don;t want to drown him!!!!!! The other thing you could do is get an old pair of sock and if you turn the head on the toe at each end it makes a perfect ring for your little chick to hide in and keep warm. We call them Mummy socks - our chicks still sleep in their and they are now 5 weeks old!

I think that is about all I can say at the moment. - Your chick doesn;t need to eat for up to about 3 days after hatching. - it sounds as though it got hurt by the ants you will need to watch for infection. The vitamins will help some but I am not sure what you can do for such a tiny chick hopefully someone else will come along with better advice and more knowledge than me.

If your chick is still drying off it may take a while to get up and move about and all especially if it got hurt. - one of mine didn;t move for 12 hours! That chick is doing fine now so a little patience and maybe it will come round. Make sure you keep it warm!!!!!!! Don;t keep turning your lamp on and off. Steady temperature is best.

Oesdog - will think of you and hope it pulls through. [​IMG]

3. PippyChicken

PippyChicken Songster

Jul 2, 2009
    AL
    [​IMG] He just died my turkens just aren't having any luck [​IMG]

4. honeydoll

honeydoll Songster

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    Ahh, I'm sorry. Hopefully you'll have better luck next time. I know it's hard. [​IMG]

5. PippyChicken

PippyChicken Songster

Jul 2, 2009
    AL
    Every turken I've ever had has died [​IMG] Except 2 and I love them so much! My birthday is coming up on August 4th and the hatchery ships out that do so hopefully I will get some more turkens [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: