1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by saraha, Sep 9, 2010.

1. saraha

saraha New Egg

Sep 9, 2010
    I have 3 Isa Browns, all about 12 months old. They have all been laying fine and are healthy and happy. Today I let them out and noticed one has a swollen and bleeding cloaca. Nothing appears to be coming out of it (like the pics of a prolapsed cloaca suggest). I don't think she's laid an egg today - some in the laying box have a little blood on them, but judging by the state of her, none of them are hers. The other girls are pecking at her. I put her in a warm bath for a while and that seemed to relax her (had her eyes closed). She's very keen to drink. Any ideas on what I can do would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    It kind of sounds like a prolapse. Can you get a picture? Maybe some small rodent chewed there? Or maybe it's the other hens. I hate to think an egg broke in her but that may be a possibility. I think you're doing right with the special treatment. I suppose that could be a symptom of worms because of the blood or one of the chicken diseases that has blood in the stool

3. Hello! It sounds like a prolapsed vent--try soaking her bottom in warm water, towel dry, and then lather her vent in preperation-h(yeah, I know weird, but it works). The prep h should help the prolapse. I have had this happen and had great success with the prep-h. I would separate her so the other hens aren't pecking at it--when chickens see blood, they peck, and can severely injure/kill a chicken by pecking at an open wound! Good luck and keep us posted! [​IMG]

4. saraha

saraha New Egg

Sep 9, 2010
    Thanks for your replies. I don't have any of that handy, but will get some today and hope it works! Since being in the bath there's now some cream-coloured discharge mixed with some black, which seems ominous. She isn't lethargic - a little while ago she evidently thought she was going to lay and flew up into the laying box - so I'm hoping it isn't worms/broken egg.

I took a pic with the laptop camera but can't figure out how to add it to the post.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by