Please Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Keene's coop, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Keene's coop

Keene's coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    neenah, wisconsin
    i have 4 girls and one of them just started laying yesterday. they are still on grower/finisher feed. not sure how old 3 of the hens are cuz the lady i got them from didn't know. i still have a 1/2 bag left of the grower/finisher feed left. so my question is, should i switch them over to the layer feed or should i just offer oyster shell until they all start laying? but then how do i know they all laying? i can't imagine i'll be getting 4 eggs/day with the weather getting colder. what should i do? thanks in advance
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. linben

linben Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I am not sure if it is right but that is what I would do so that I didn't waste the food. Another option I would consider is mixing it with layer to use it up.

3. Ironmaiden

Ironmaiden Chicken Maiden

Jun 14, 2010
    Kansas
    Mix it with layer. Start with 1/3 of the layer to 2/3 of the grower, then gradually increase the layer.

4. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:Yup that'll work and toss in the eggs shells when you feed treats for calcium.

5. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Quote:Yup that'll work and toss in the eggs shells when you feed treats for calcium.

Ditto.

6. Keene's coop

Keene's coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    neenah, wisconsin
    the layer feed won't hurt the chickens that are not laying? that's what i'm worried about.

7. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Keene's coop :

the layer feed won't hurt the chickens that are not laying? that's what i'm worried about.

Have their combs and wattles turned that bright red yet? That is a great indicator they are ready to lay. Otherwise if they are comparible to the size of the one laying it shouldn't be a problem to mix the feeds. I keep my girls on grower until the first one starts laying. Then I start mixing the remaining grower with the layer pellets.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by