Please Help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hobobrando, Apr 26, 2008.

1. hobobrando

hobobrando Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Vermont
    One of my chicks has pasty butt I have tried removing it with olive oil, vasoline, and a damp washcloth with no luck. Could I clip the feathers just below the dried up poop with a pare of nail clippers. Is there any other way please help me.

2. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Just keep at it with the warm water and rag, you have to be a little aggressive sometimes to get it off. It will come if you keep at it. Good luck!

3. hobobrando

Mar 25, 2008
    Vermont
    I loosened it alot with the vasoline but every time I even tugged a little the chick screamed.

4. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Just use the warm water and maybe a little soap. You don't want to use things on a chicken that's for a human.

5. chikenlady

chikenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Cantonment, FL
    I used a warm, wet paper towel. As the poo softened, I used a toothpick to carefully remove what would come off. Then kept at again with the wet towel. It eventually all cam off. I had to repeat a few times.

Lori

6. hobobrando

Mar 25, 2008
    Vermont
    Thanks all I will try the different techniques in the morning for now she can still poop so she'll be fine untill morning.

7. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    Use a Q tip and warm water and it will soften very quickly. Afterwards I put a little baby oil on the Q tip and this helps to keep it moist and it will not dry out again. I have had great luck with this technique. I even put its little bottom in warm water and then work with the Q tip. Works like a charm! Good Luck
    I was told at the hatchery that if the babies are chilled it can contribute to Pasty Butt and giving warm drinking water will help. It works for mine![​IMG]

8. fowlplay

fowlplay Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2008
    Townsend
    Hi,
    4 out of my 13 baby chicks had pasty butt. I went out and got a soft bristle toothbrush. Wet it under warm water and held it on the crusted poo. It softened it up and I used the toothbrush to gently brush away the poo. I dried their bottom as best I could with a dry papertowel and then applied vegetable oil with a Q-tip on and a bit around the vent. Haven't had an issue with pasty butt since!
    Was priceless when hubby came home, walked into the bathroom and found me holding a chick upside down in one hand and a toothbrush in the other! LOL

9. hobobrando

Mar 25, 2008
    Vermont
    I guess I'm going to have to tackle this cleaning job soon. Thank's all for the great tips everyone I'll let you know how it go's a little later.

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    You could also put the warm water in a small dish and hold the baby's backside in it for a couple of minutes.

I did that with my little brahma and she came completely clean with just a little wipe. Her pasty butt only last two days.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by