Please HELP

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by luvchicks8, Apr 28, 2011.

1. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    My babysitter feed my ducks medicated chick start, they are 3 weeks 5 days old???

2. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Is there anything I should do to prevent sickness

3. Stormy Autumn

Stormy Autumn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Florida
    You'll be fine. The medicine they use in chick starter now is safe for ducks. It's an old kind of medicine that's bad for them.

4. xke4

xke4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2007
    What is listed on the label as medication? If it is Amprollium, you are okay.

5. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Quote:Oh Thanks I was so upset but could not say anyhing except I will feed the birds thanks for trying. I try to live by it's not what happens to you it's how you react...This was a tough. [​IMG]

6. Stormy Autumn

Stormy Autumn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Florida
    I would check the bag of feed like xke4 suggested, just in case. Coccidiostat is the medication that can kill ducks, but I don't think any feed companies use it anymore.

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    How much of the feed did they get? Is it that you received the ducklings from the babysitter, or was he or she just looking after the ducklings for a few days?

In any case, there are better feeds for ducklings than chick starter - as big a concern as medication is, deficient niacin is just as big for me.

Ducklings need three times the niacin chicks do. (There are reports that indicate to me that it may actually depend on the individual duck - some ducklings seem fine, others have serious neurological problems from low niacin.)

It's good you're so conscientious! I hope you get some good information and encouragement here at the duck forum!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by