Please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lanie8, May 18, 2011.

1. lanie8

lanie8 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    after I was all done cleaning out my chicks cage I put the chicks in ,and they started to eat there bedding!
    There bedding is hay, so I'm pertty sure its ok? Am I right? If it is ok , will they choke ,because I'm scared they will?Please give me advice
    becaus this is my first time having chicks so i'm not an expert, and Idon't want them to die:barnie:th

2. java girl 2

java girl 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    NY
    Quote:

3. fifenashia

fifenashia Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Eastern Kentucky
    I don't think hay is a problem, I have raised 2 broods on pine shavings and they have done well. I usually wait to introduce hay until they are a bit bigger but only because they get lost in the hay lol;)

4. Moxiechick

Moxiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    How old are your chicks? Very young chicks (1-2 weeks old) should be kept on paper towels, as they don't know what is, and what isn't food yet. Most people then switch to either aspen or pine shavings. Avoid cedar, as the fumes are toxic to most animals. Hay could impact their crops if they eat too much of it, especially since chicks don't usually have access to grit. I would remove the hay asap!

5. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I would worry about impacted crops if they were actually eating the hay. Have you tried using sand instead? I just switched from pine bedding to sand in the brooder and I will never go back.

Edited to add: This thread popped up right after I posted my response.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=444759

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  6. java girl 2

java girl 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    NY
    It is ok for them to have some. I have not had any proplems with that . Or you can go to pine shaving if you can. what they are really need is fresh grass, not hay at this time ! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by