Please help!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jbryant28, Jun 8, 2011.

1. jbryant28

jbryant28 New Egg

Jun 8, 2011
    My young hen was attacked by a dog last night we got her in time but she cannot stand on her rt leg. I feel like it is either dislocated or broke at the hip I cant feel any broken bone but she cannot stand. The extremity is still warm to touch so good blood flow she is still eating and drinking fine. There is no vet around that will see her and I dont know what to do please help!!!!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh gosh, I don't think it can be splinted in any way if it's broken or dislocated at the hip. Right now, the best thing would be to keep her calm and still, by maybe keeping her in a cage with food and water close by.

Hopefully another member will come by with more experience on this!

Good luck to you!

Sharon

3. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    It may be that she is stressed... Hopefully someone else will respond...
    I can only tell you what I went through last week.... Mine were attacked on Friday... lost 3, one injured
    The injured one I brought into the bathroom and kept her in the tub (yes... inside in the bathtub)...
    She would not stand for a good 24 hours... just scooted around...
    It has taken her 5 days to get back to her normal self... she is still recuperating though... had lots of feathers lost, etc.

Good luck and I hope someone can give you some more ideas.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Is the leg just hanging there or can she actually stand on it if forced to? And if she is forced to move, are her feet in line or does she move like a hip is out of place? If she is only limping on it, she maybe ok with a lot of rest. But if the limb looks dislocated you will need to find someone to reset the leg. I am so sorry. [​IMG]

5. jbryant28

jbryant28 New Egg

Jun 8, 2011
    She can stand for a second but the leg buckles and she falls I have to put it back up under her the right way when she sits. I have her in a small dog carrier with pine shavings and food and water resting but I dont want her to suffer if she is in pain and I dont know if its broke so I dont want to splint it if that would just make it worse. My main thing is I dont know if she is suffering or not and I cant stand it

6. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    If you don't have anyone to treat her and not knowing if she is in pain, the best thing you might do for her mental state is keep her in a darkened area. Cover the dog carrier so it seems dark. Darkness makes birds rest better. Make sure she can access food and water without haveing to stand much, and don't disturb her. Let her sleep as much as possible in a quiet area away from all noise.

As much as you might want to hold her or comfort her, she needs rest. She may or may not heal.

If you can't take seeing her in pain and feel she should be put down then you may need to put her to sleep.

7. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Oh and as strange as this sounds being summer, make sure she is warm. Very warm. Birds go into shock very easily after an accident like the one you described and they can get chilled, even in the summer. Shock can kill them faster than the injury. So keep her in a warm place.

I am so sorry [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  8. jbryant28

jbryant28 New Egg

Jun 8, 2011
    Thank you for all your posts! I will keep her resting, warm, and in a dark quite place. It is so upsetting not knowing what to do I just wish we had a vet that would just take a look at her but none of them will around here. (cleveland,tn)

9. citychickenfarm

citychickenfarm Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    Not sure if you have tired this but I did read on a site that if you call a vet to see what they can do, they will flat out say no, but if you take the bird in and tell them you are not leaving until its seen they have a hard time turning you away. Especially when they see an animal hurt and their are other clients in there. If you really think it needs a vet, try that.

10. jbryant28

jbryant28 New Egg

Jun 8, 2011
    Well now I am pretty sure her leg is dislocated no break, she is eating well, drinking well, and trying to stand. She tries to pull the other leg up under her when she lays down. It looks pitiful and I dont know what to do about it. At this time she is still in the carrier by herself and I check on her often but it just seems inhumane to let her try to walk on the one leg and hold the other up. What do you guys think? What would yall do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by