1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please Help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gamebirdboy, Jun 24, 2011.

1. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Okay so my power went out and I have 90 quail eggs set. Should I stack blankets over the incubator? A lot have already hatched, and they started huddling.

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Good idea with the blankets, and don't open the door because you will let the heat out. Hope the power comes on soon! Good luck!

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Power must be back on if you can post?

Blankets and keep incubators closed in power outages is a good plan.

4. gamebirdboy

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    I'm using the internet on my phone, thanks and should I move it upstairs where it is hotter?

5. kstaven

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    If it is considerably warmer upstairs and you expect power to be out for some time then I would.

6. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Did you call the power company to report the outage? If the Bator gets cold, at least you might save the peeps. My dad said he used to keep chicks warm using kerosene lights. But your parents should help with that if necessary . I guess you don't have a bunch of broodies sitting around? If you get desperate, body heat might save some. Or do you have a wood stove?

7. kstaven

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Eggs can cool considerably for a short term before effecting the hatch rate in a detrimental fashion.

8. gamebirdboy

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    I have one broody, but she won't take chicks. I tried it a few days ago. I think it will be out for a while. Two days ago it was out for a day and a half. I had to move it to my house because it was at my grandpa's and he lost power. Now we both lost power. There is a few trees down and it came back on for a few seconds and then back off. Thanks for the help, it's staying at 92 with the blankets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by