Please help!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by blue eyes 2011, Jul 7, 2011.

1. blue eyes 2011

blue eyes 2011 New Egg

Jul 7, 2011
    Hello, This is my first time on this site so please bare with me. We have 4 chickens no roosters that are 14 weeks old. This morning when we went to tend them we found 2 with injury's to their backs rite above their tail feathers, looks like pecking damage,feathers are gone , blood,ect.. looks bad..Then before we could remove them thy all were pecking at the damage area including her self. They were fine last night when we tended them. What could have caused this to happen? What should be done? Please help....Thanks

2. nobodyherebutuschickens

nobodyherebutuschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2010
    Erie, Colorado
    Could a predator of some kind have gotten to them? Or is this chicken-inflicted?

3. Mark & Nique

Mark & Nique Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    It could be the establishing of pecking order. Remove the injured chicken (--what is its breed?) Next, watch the behavior of the flock.

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello! Welcome from Ohio! I am so sorry, this kind of stuff is really upsetting when you're new with chickens. Not sure if you'll ever know what happened, but I'm thinking maybe a predator, possibly a raccoon may have grabbed them, pulling out their feathers causing blood. Then, chickens are very attracted to blood, so they will naturally peck at it. Sometimes chickens even do this pecking and feather pulling to eachother.

Here's what I would do: First, check each chicken for any signs of parasites (that might be a reason they would peck themselves or eachother). Then, really look around your coop and run to see if there is any place where a predator could get at them.......Or any signs of a predator maybe chewing on the chicken wire or trying to get in.

(I am truly guessing at what happened.....just giving you a few ideas.)

I would then buy a product called Blue Cote. The farm store has it, and it comes in a spray form, or a bottle. You can spray the wounds with that. (They will look bright blue, as if ink was spilled on them.) The Blue Cote will help the wound heal and sort of disguise it, so the hens won't peck at it. They're just not interested in the color, I guess.

Now, don't worry, if your two chickens have bald spots, their feathers will grow back. If the entire feather is gone, it will grow back, but if part if it (like the shaft or stem) is still there, it won't grow back until the next molt.

So sorry this happened, and I'll bet things will be fine soon. Take care,
    Sharon

5. blue eyes 2011

blue eyes 2011 New Egg

Jul 7, 2011
    There are 2 plymouth baedrock and 2 are road island reds. The problem will not be predators yet because they have not been placed out side as of yet, was getting site ready for them. We di remove from the others.

6. Mark & Nique

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Can I make a guess...the pecked chicken is one of the Barred Rocks?

7. blue eyes 2011

blue eyes 2011 New Egg

Jul 7, 2011
    nope , road islandreds?

8. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Just had to say [​IMG]. I hope you will find answers to your problems here. There are hundreds of very knowledgable and helpful people here. Good luck!

9. Mark & Nique

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Wow -- RIR (Rhode Island Reds) are generally more aggressive than BR (Barred Rocks).

Following chicmom's advice will be the thing to do. If you cannot get any bluecoat, you can use vaseline or neosporin to cover the wound. Be sure to keep her away from the others until healed.

10. blue eyes 2011

blue eyes 2011 New Egg

Jul 7, 2011
    Thank you so much, we will do that. Do you think it's pecking order thats going on?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by