please HELP!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by big m70726, Aug 10, 2011.

1. big m70726

big m70726 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2011
    I have a goose he is about 4 mo we also have 4 ducks all of them have been together since babies except the mallard he was an adult when we got him . yesterday my goose held the mallard head under water 2xs as if he was try to drawn him . why ? and was he try to hurt him? what do I do .

2. Axle Quails

Axle Quails Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    London
    maybe you should get another goose

3. big m70726

Aug 4, 2011
    ok that will stop him from try to drawn the ducks lol do u know why all os a sudden he would do that maybe is he try to play? do they play like that?

4. Axle Quails

Axle Quails Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    London
    he probly playing around
    he probly needs some mates [​IMG] of his own species

is he a gander or goose ?

5. big m70726

Aug 4, 2011
    I don't know when I got him he was lil I thought i bought a duck lol would put picks and did but idk where they are ,If I did it right or how to do it.

6. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Well they do breed on water and it sounds like early signs of him maturing. Would get him a goose to be with and watchnthem closely until you do.

7. LemonDoodles

LemonDoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    My male duck did that to my other male earlier this week. It was suggested to me that it is a mating behavior. It might be the same in your situation. Being it that the goose is probably larger, I would keep a close eye on them.

8. big m70726

Aug 4, 2011
    Quote:Thanks so If I don't know if he is male or female does it matter other than i dont want them to reproduce what I get ? and it's hard to find one his/her age I would have to get a baby and start over would he still do that to the ducks ?

9. big m70726

Aug 4, 2011
    Quote:well Mr T is my mallard him and spy which is the other mallard they usually go in the pool together than the other 2 ducks pair together goose usually has the pool to his self but I guess because it has been so hot Mr T decided he was gonna go in with goosie IDK was goin on just don't want to wake up with Mr T floatin you know it would break my heart. New at this so any Info any one has is greatly appercaited.

10. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

It is either bullying or mating behavior. Most likely mating behavior, although he is a bit young. Do you have any other geese? Geese do best with another goose of the opposite sex. My geese get along with my call ducks, but my geese are the gentlest breed: Cotton Patch Geese.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by