Please Help!!!!!!!!

egtarheelfan

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 16, 2011
Ok so last night a helped a duck egg out last night at 9:00 pm and when i hit the membrane with the tweesers it started bleeding i stopped and put the egg back in the incubator and waited till 11 the next morning. I tried it again and the same thing happened so i put it back in the bator. I noticed the first pip at 1:00 pm yeaterday and rigt now it is 3:00pm Should i try to help it again? The egg air sac membrane is White colored and i think it may be dried out. What should i do? i Have opened the incubator 4 times and i dont know if this has comprimised the other eggs one of them has piped. Do you think it could have caused the other eggs to dry out? What sould i do with the egg i helped out and the egg that is piped? PLEASE HELP!!!!!

ok so i just try to help again and yet again the membrane started bleeding. what should i do????? The duckling seems to be striggling to get out. IS the bleeding normal? It has been over 24 hours since he pipped.

When should i try again? im fairly sure he is healthy because heis chirping and moving but i think he is dissoriented because his eyes are not visible only his beak and some fur. What should i do?

wait for 8 more hours and mist the duck eggs that have not yet pipped. Remember, it can somtimes take days for a duckling to hatch. Only intervien when it has not made progress for 12 hours. (progress, not meaning hatched but just a slight difference from where it was) Don't worry too much about interviening to soon, most of us who incubate have done it! he will sleep alot and work a little.

Also, it is ok to be sure there is plenty of moisture on that one egg, you can lay a damp paper towel over it so that it's tented (not touching the egg) to help keep it from drying out. If you are really concerned about whether it can breathe (it doesn't need to see, but it does need to breathe), you can chip a tiny bit towards its bill. It takes a long time though for it to absorb its blood vessels and yolk into it's abdomen and it needs to struggle in the shell to do so.

As long as you don't open the incubator often, or leave it open and the humidity and temps stay up in it, you probably aren't harming the other eggs. It is best if you can restrain yourself, I find that hard myself.
smile.png
I will mist them with warm water if I open it. A lot depends on the humidity of the room the incubator is in - it's really dry here. I've been able to help a few hatch by going very slowly and just giving them a little bit of help to be sure they can get to air and if they start to dry out in the membranes. I just add about 1/4" to the hole they have going and leave them for hours and make sure they are moist.

On the other hand, some of them will die and not hatch. I find that really hard, they are my babies after a month of running the incubator, talking to them, candling them, etc.

You should not have even touched the egg until AFTER 24 hours AT LEAST...Sometimes it takes them longer than that to hatch. And it can take up to 48 hours from the time they pipped to hatch at all.

Thank you all for your GREAT information it really makes me feel much better. The humidity has not dropped below 75 when i have opened the bator. Is that enough or should i still mist them with the warm water? Is it ok to mist the one that i helped out? Also approximatly how long does it take for the yolk and vessels to be absorbed? How will i know when they are fully absorbed? He seem extremely healthy he is peeping and moving alot. I already have a name for him/her Buddy. I try to talk to him to keep his moving reffering to him/her as buddy, and to stimulate him as well as the other ducklings.

Last edited:
Also is it normal for the membrane to be white? Als he keeps opening and closing his beak very fast. Is that normal?? Should i try to give him some water via watter dropper?

Last edited:
That all seems normal to me. We had our first ducks hatch this year - under a broody chicken - and they took about 48 hours to hatch. I was completely freaked out the entire time but I kept my hands off and everything turned out OK.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom