1. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Came home today to find a hen honking and wraspy. (sp) She will honk with her breathing, then a loud honk and shake her head. No runny eyes, nose etc. I tried to feel her crop, but can't seem to locate it. When I tipped her upside down she did have some discharge. She is 20 weeks old and was fine last night at roost time. Any ideas?? Please help she's our first layer.[​IMG]

2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Something is probably obstructing her airway. She could be choking, or she could have gapeworms (little Y-shaped worms that live in the trachea and can cause chickens to "gape").

If you can't feel her crop, she's probably not impacted. It would be hard to avoid the crop if it was. The crop is at the base of the neck on the right side--if it's full you'll be able to tell right away.

Be very careful when turning a chicken upside down--she could very easily aspirate on the liquid.

I'm sorry I can't tell you what's wrong with her. The best advice I can give you is to make sure she keeps drinking, maybe give her a very gentle throat message if she'll let you, and look up "gapeworm".

I hope your hen feels better soon [​IMG]

3. This_chicks_place

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I gave her some acv in the water whick I fed to her with a syringe and some Kefir fed the same way. She was totally fine yesterday, even layed an egg. I don't think it's gapeworm as she doesn't seem to be gasping for breath just honking and twisting or shaking her head every 4th or 5th honk. I hope it helps, I would hate to lose her. Anyone have any other ideas to help?

4. This_chicks_place

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    No ideas???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by