1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

please help.

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by mr.mc., Sep 26, 2011.

1. mr.mc.

mr.mc. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Indiana
    Ok i'm geting a bird or 2 soon, [​IMG] & I need some price ranges. how much will it cost for 2 parakeets or 1 cockatiel?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

mr.mc. :

Ok i'm geting a bird or 2 soon, [​IMG] & I need some price ranges. how much will it cost for 2 parakeets or 1 cockatiel?

Around here parakeet (budgies) are $20-$25 apiece. Cockatiels are $70-$100 depending on the color.

Imp​

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I find the bird is only one thing in the equation... How about the cage, stand, food, perch, all the hardware, toys??
    Do you have any of that yet?

4. mr.mc.

Apr 25, 2011
    Indiana
    I have all I need but the bird, but at this point i'm thinking I want a parakeet. [​IMG]
    now all I need to know is ware to get him/her. [​IMG] [​IMG] I live by an unkle bills a petco & a petsmart.

5. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Do yourself a favor, and make sure you get one that is tame. It's no fun having a bird that can't be handled. There are a lot of birds on hoobly.com. I don't know what state you're in though.

6. PitterPaws

PitterPaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Get them where ever they offer a guarantee, just incase it gets sick or dies, so you can replace it.

Make sure when you are picking out a bird, it isn't hiding in a corner, it's feathers aren't ruffled, it's beak is clean, it's rump is not dirty, as these are all signs of a sick bird.

It probably will cost around $20. to $30.00 for a pair of Parakeets, I don't know on the cockatiel as I have never owned one.

Good Luck and don't forget to post pictures!!

7. mr.mc.

Apr 25, 2011
    Indiana
    but what about love birds [​IMG]

8. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Find a local breeder,don't buy them at a pet store.Breeders have much healtier birds and they are cheaper then pet stores.Here parakeets are 8-10.00 and cockatiels are 20.00- 75.00,depending on colors.These are breeder prices not stores.There is always someone near by that breeds tiels and keets.
    In N.H.,Tony.

9. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Just putting in that the English Budgies are larger and tend to be friendlier than the typical store 'keets. I hear good things about lineolated parakeets too. Both seem to tame down in just one sitting from what I've experienced with pet store birds. Linnies are hardish to find and pricier though.

10. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Parakeets and cockatiels are either really cheap or free where I am.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by