Please help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bronwyn, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Bronwyn

Bronwyn Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2012
    I just got two Pekin and two Cayuga ducklings. One of the Pekins seems to have less energy than the others and talks a lot more. I don't think she's been eating as much as the others either. She also has been kind of throwing up...? Is it okay for ducklings to throw up? I'm really worried.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How old, what are you feeding, how warm in their brooder?

3. Bronwyn

Dec 2, 2012
    They are 5 days old and I've been keeping the brooder at about 88 F. They've been eating starter crumble and a little bit of grit. I gave them tiny bits of kale yesterday, but that's all. I take them out and let them swim and run around my bathroom everyday, but there's nothing they could have eaten that would be bad for them.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Could be the temp is too warm, see if you can get it down a bit to 85-84, ducklings don't need it as warm as chicks. and can they get out from under the heat if they want to? other than that I would get some Brewers yeast, not baking yeast and sprinkle some on top of their feed, ducklings need alot more niacin that chicks and can have Neurological and legs problems from note getting enough when young ducklings. Sounds like everything else is good. as long as they have grit then it's okay to feed something other than starter, so your good there too. how was the duckling during swim time. also you can buy Poultry vitamins to add to their drinking water. Poultry Nutri Drench is a good one and TSC carries it. Other than this I am at a loss, but over heating can be a problem. so 88 may be just a bit to warm.

5. Bronwyn

Dec 2, 2012
    Ok, I'll turn the heat down. Could it be mucus that she's spitting up?

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Is it thick or more like water? how often is she doing this. right after drinking or anytime, the reason I am asking is sometimes if they have just drank water and we pick them up the water can come back up. Can they get out from under the heat if they want to? like at the other end of the brooder?

7. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Are you drying them after they swim? They don't really need to swim yet at this young age but if they do they need to be kept warm and dried quickly. I'm not sure if this would cause the vomiting but it could make them lethargic if cold.

Where did you get the kale? If you didn't grow it or buy organic, did you rinse and clean it well? Any leafy veg usually gets a ton of pesticide in the field.
    Also, how small are you chopping the kale? It is a pretty tough green and very young ducklings usually do better with very tender greens, like romaine without the veins.

What type of grit are they getting?

Pay attention to whether the one is eating. They need to eat often at this age.

good luck

8. Bronwyn

Dec 2, 2012
    Thank you so much! Yes, they can get away from the heat if they need to. And the kale was organic and very clean. The duckling that was worrying me is eating again now, and she seems much better. Maybe she just had something stuck that was irritating her? Is that possible? I might have been overreacting, but I love them dearly already and would hate to have anything happen to one of them. I got the temp down to about 85, too, and they all seem a little happier. I know that I don't need to let them swim everyday, but they really enjoy it and tend to get restless after a several hours in the brooder. I do dry them off really well when I take them out though, and the water is always warm.

Thank you for your help! I think she'll be all right, but I will definitely keep all this in mind just in case. And I think I'll invest in some vitamins and brewers yeast, too.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Great to hear, you also have to take in mind that them all bunched up together generates quite a bit of heat too, so having your brooder at 85 is good. then 5 degrees lower each week until fully feathered. Brewers yeast is very important for ducklings. and I always keep poultry vitamins close by too. Please keep us updated and I saw your pics on the other thread they are adorable, and understand completely how easy it is to fall in love with them. Sounds like your doing everything just fine, don't forget pics as they grow,. http://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/03/are-my-ducklings-leg-problems-due-to.html

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by