1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    this is my 10 month old EE. I went out to feed today and i saw my chicken her name is mirror. She was sitting there by herself all huddled up and went over and picked her up and took her inside so that she could eat. Then i saw that both of her eyes were like stuck shut or sonething. I tried putting warm water on it but that did not help. I know that there is no way she can see but she was able to find the food and water on her own and was eating and drinking. I don't know what is wrong or how to treat this. Some said the her eyeball could actually be gone but i don't think it is. Although i can't tell for sure because i can't see her eye since it is closed. She is one of my favorite chickens and i want to make sure that her eye gets better and she is okay.
    [​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Try taking a q-tip and wetting it with warm water and gently rubbing her eye and the surrounding area until you can clean all the stuff sticking her eyes closed off. Eventually if you work at it very gently for a while you will get it clean and she'll open them if she wants to. After you get the eyes open look at them and try to see what's wrong. If you have saline solution gently rinse her eyes out with it to try to clear them of debris or irritants. Does she have any other wounds? Is she breathing normally? Does she have any nasal discharge? Basically, can you see anything wrong with her or 'off' with her besides her eyes? Sometimes runny eyes are a sign of respiratory problems.

3. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    she seems to act fine other than her eyes. She acted like her normal self.

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Usually Coreyza causes eye issues, but there is almost always other symptoms like nasal discharge and a foul smell.

Could she have been pecked? I just don't know why it would be in both eyes.. Is there bubbles in the eyes when you open them manually?

I've had this happen when I vaccinated for ILT. Keeping them clean and providing some ointment helped clear it up quickly. The ointment I can never remember the name.. but it is meant for wound infections, and looks like Polysporin when you apply - but is made for poultry. It really helped when they were having reactions to the vaccine.

I've rarely had it in BOTH eyes though.

If you notice any nasal discharge or raspy breathing, that's when to be concerned.

You haven't added any new birds lately have you?

5. sunnyvista50

sunnyvista50 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2012
    I just went thru this with my young rooster. We thought he would die he was so bad. Both eyes swollen and oozing discharge. Thanks to this group he's better now. What worked for him was tylan 50. .5 cc (half a 1cc size needle I learned) injected into the side of the breast not too deep the first day then half that dose .25 cc for 10 days after. We washed his eyes with warm washcloths and rubbed up and down towards RGE eyelid to get out big blobs of ooze above and below the eye. It was scary. Now he's fine and even acting mean towards Pearl, the young gen who stood by him thru all this. Ticks me off but that's another post. Hope yours gets well soon.

6. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Tylan 50 will probably work great also terramycin eye ointment. Good luck.

7. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    thanks to all of you for information

8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Great News Everyone! my chickens eyes are better they opened right they look perfectly fine and she acts great.[​IMG]

9. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    very odd... but good news, Im glad shes fine[​IMG]

10. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    i know i didnt think that they would open up that fast. I thought i would have to wash and put soultion on them a couple more times before they would open.thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by