:) please help.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by newbie3, Jan 26, 2013.

1. newbie3

newbie3 New Egg

Jan 26, 2013
    Hi everyone.

Please note I have never hatched anything in my life. So be patient with my lack of knowledge.

I have peahen egg. It is 18 hours old. The hen was injured and could not care for the egg so I took it. I do not know if it is fertilized, but she has been living with a peacock.

Right now the egg is in a box with a heat lamp (100 degrees) with moist paper towels around it.

However, the egg did not have heat on it for approx. 6 hours and there is a small hairline crack on the egg (I may or may not have done that by accident when I bumped the egg moving it) I melted some candle wax over it.

What do we think the chances are of this egg hatching if it is fertilized?

Thank you!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Is the egg freshly laid or has the peahen been incubating it? The conditions in under which you are trying to incubate it would probably make it very hard to hatch if you must go an entire incubation period. You're dealing with too many variables. If the hen has been setting on it, and it is near term, your chances are somewhat better.

3. newbie3

newbie3 New Egg

Jan 26, 2013
    Thank you flock master

It was freshly laid when it was taken away. I didnt think the chances were very likely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by