please help!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TmarieHick, Jan 29, 2013.

1. TmarieHick

TmarieHick New Egg

Jan 29, 2013
    I recently added 7 new young hens to my flock and foolishly didn't quarantine them. Now three are sick with what we suspect to be MG. Two had one bubbly eye, fluffed up and sleep a lot. I got them on water soluble Tylan yesterday. One is dining and eating just fine. The other i administer the water by dropper but she eats fine. The third is my concern..:( i noticed she was sick today because she kept opening her beak and stretching her neck. She will eat but i haven't seen her drink anything so i tried to give her water through a dropper but it comes right back up in frothy bubbles. I don't know what to do. There appears to be a small growth on her palate and she does sound stuffy when i tried to get her to drink. Is she beyond help and dying? What should i do?

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Do you add ACV to their water? If not, I suggest you do so as it may help (especially her ) to clear any mucous and make the antibiotic more efficient.. however, do check to see if ACV has any adverse effects with the antibiotic in their drinking wate..

I wish you luck!

Suzie

3. TmarieHick

TmarieHick New Egg

Jan 29, 2013
    :( i have tried the ACV to no avail unfortunately. I did that while waiting for the antibiotics. I had a lady tell me they would all die for sure. Is that true?! I hope not,i feel just awful over it.

4. Harry Rooster

Harry Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]Fear not! I have been having a time just like yours. Although I have lost 2 of the young chickens we just aquired, I have been able to save my favorite rooster and 1 other of the new chickens. It is important to isolate the sick ones away from the others. I have been using Tetracycline/Duramycin in drinking water mixing 2 tsp per gal. (might could mix stronger than that since the bag says 400-800mg, I figured 2tsp=400mg if that is correct), also put in 4 TBSP ACV, and aprox.1/2 tsp electrolytes (maybe a little less, just mix a little at a time until water is the color of Mt Dew. The ACV does help, and is safe to mix with the antibiotic I mentioned, but DO NOT use a metal water container, must be plastic. I have been doing this for a week now. I also got some yougart for them. My rooster was not eating or drinking so I poured some of the water I mixed into a small cup and sprinkled a little extra antibiotic in it and drew it up in a syringe without needle, and gave it to him by hand for a few days. If you do this though, you must be very careful and slow. You just have to give it a drop at a time, giving them plenty of time to swallow. He now looks fully recovered, and is eating, drinking, scratching around in his cage and even talking to me and crowing again, he wants out, but I'm not going to let him back out until the bad rain and cold is over. He was near death, but he is fine now[​IMG], and so was the young chicken, while she is still coughing some, she eats and drinks and is better, but she was not healthy when we got her and malnourished too, I think this is why she has not recovered as well. I got some Tylan that is much talked about, and am going to give her that. You can also give human antibiotics, I learned, like Cephelexin, that we get for cold and flu and tooth infections. So anyway, just make sure they are warm and dry first of all. I was told that they need to be at about 85% and I believe thats true, the second, is to keep them hydrated, and continue to use the ACV it works. My rooster had mucus in his nose and his mouth and his eye was stuck with it also, but after the ACV for a few days it went away. Just give it time and keep treating them, I don't know about other antibiotics, but the ACV will mix with the one I mentioned. Never give up! Tender Love and Care will go a long way. Have hope and do not despair![​IMG] Look into some electrolytes only about $4.00 bag goes a long way, don't take much, be careful and don't overmix it though, I've read that it is dangerous to give too much vitamin mix, but if done right it will give them much needed vitamin for strength and keep from dehydration, helping them to overcome the sickness.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by