Please help...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rosemi78, Feb 23, 2013.

1. rosemi78

rosemi78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Ashland, Missouri
    I have a chick that was born yesterday after noon on day 21(late), day 22(early). Her eyes aren't open. She is moving around all over the place, but she is drying at all. I have a couple water containers in the incubator for humidity, and I stuffed them full of paper towels to keep any chicks from drowning. She likes to lay on top of those (which I know is why she's not drying out). But... She's hitting the heating element!!! Then she just cries and cries. Please give me ideas on how to help. She's #9 out of 11 and I don't want to lose her...

2. The heating element should be moved or protect the chicks from it. Place it in a brooder that is safe to raise chicks. If the eyes are not opened by the end of the day, well.......you may have to cull.

3. rosemi78

Jan 27, 2013
    Ashland, Missouri
    Okay, I set a cooler up as an emergency brooder. I'm just waiting for the temps to warm up. My only heat options were either a 60w bulb or a UVA/UVB bulb, so I went with the 60w...

4. Reurra

Reurra Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    60w may not get warm enough unless she is under it directly. Is it a large cooler you have her in?

5. rosemi78

Jan 27, 2013
    Ashland, Missouri
    It's all I have. I just raised the floor of the brooder so she would be closer to the heat source. I'm waiting to see what the temp is going to get to. [​IMG]
    I will raise the floor higher if I have to. It's about 1/3 up from the bottom right now.

6. rosemi78

Jan 27, 2013
    Ashland, Missouri
    Raised it up more. I think this will work to get temps up...

7. rosemi78

Jan 27, 2013
    Ashland, Missouri
    Also covered the exposed part of the screen cover with newspaper to trap in some of the heat. Temps are at 89.8 and slowly rising. Just about there.

[​IMG]

8. rosemi78

Jan 27, 2013
    Ashland, Missouri
    She's doing well, and is resting quietly. Her eyes have opened and she's slowly starting to dry out. Once she's nice and fluffy & more stable, I'll transfer her into the main brooder with the other 8 chicks.

9. Thats great news!!

10. rosemi78

Jan 27, 2013
    Ashland, Missouri
    She didn't make it...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by