Please Help!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Reurra, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Reurra

Reurra Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    So i went out this afternoon and found my blue australorp acting slow and lethargic. Her tail was down and she was puffed up. I offered scratch and she was not interested, just drinking.

So i brought her inside to get war, we had a sudden cold spell last night and its very windy.

I offered her some hard boiled egg with a little B vitamin complex. She ate a few bites but didnt seem overly interested.

I checked her for all outward signs of illness such as mites, swelling, stinky breath, injuries and so forth and found nothing.

So I palpated her belly and she suddenly put her tail down and strained really hard. Some muccus-ish whitish poo came out. I palpated her again and the same reaction. It was as if she were trying to lay an egg. I checked for hardness in her belly region and found nothing, but up high under her breast bone it felt harder. Each time I touched her belly she would strain and grunt.

I looked at her vent and its a purplish color, but doesnt look swollen. It was also pulsating, but that might have been just from her pooping.

I put her back in the coop to let her rest where she is familiar.

What is going on? Has anyone else seen this? Is she egg bound?

She will be a year old at the end of April. I dont know if this has anything to do with it, but Ive had someone laying an egg on the floor in the middle of the coop the last week, since the 9th. I dont know who it is. the egg is always normal colored textured and shaped.

This is my son's bird!!! Please help!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  2. Reurra

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    Any ideas on this? I would like to treat her right away, but I am very unsure of what is wrong and dont want to treat her for something she doesnt have.

Is it egg binding or is it something worse?

3. Reurra

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    I forgot to mention, the tips of her comb were bluish purple until I brought her in and warmed her up. She is standing in a cage near the fire after a long soak in a warm tub of water and epsom salts. She did strain for a few seconds when i pressed gently upwards against her pelvis bones. She squired some dark poop out and what looked like an undigested kernel of barley (from the scratch i believe) The poo was runny and chocolate brown and seemed somewhat gelatinous. After the treatment she has been standing in her cage with her tail up, but is very quiet.

I checked the poop chart and there wasnt anything on it that would describe what she dropped.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  4. Reurra

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    I dont know if she is going to make it.

Still hunched up. Not moving, only to drink.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  5. Reurra

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    4 days and 22 hours, still no ideas what this is?

Hen is still the same. On occasion the back half of her comb turns a little blue.

Bunched up on a roost and dropping very wet poop.

She is not gasping, straining, coughing wheezing or anything. She generally looks normal.

I cannot feel anything inside her at all, she isnt squishy or bloated. Her vent looks normal to me. I cannot find any mass inside her, so if there is an egg, its way up in there and I havent a clue how to get to it. I cant get injectable calcium here, so my next course is liquid. A vet check is out of the question, they are too expensive.

Any ideas what Im dealing with here would be very helpful.

I have a picture. this is after i soaked her with warm water and epsom salts for 20 minutes. I warmed her by the fire until she was dry. Thats why she is wet.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  6. ldavis916

ldavis916 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2012
    Carmichael, CA
    I'm sorry your girl isn't doing well. We lost our Ameraucana last month to egg binding. Your girls bum looks pretty normal. Ours was horrific and looked like her insides were coming out and it was tearing apart. I have heard of chickens who have an egg break inside and they get egg yolk peritonitis. You might want to look into that. I hope she is doing better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by