PLEASE HELP!

alindm1

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 26, 2013
I have 3 chickens that are all 1 and a half years old and they lost their feathers on their stomachs about 3 months ago and they haven't grown back yet. The skin is a creamy mustard yellow. My one chicken that has it the worst has stopped laying eggs for about 5 months now. Did they loose their feathers because of the summer heat? Will they grow back? Is it a pest? What can I do? When will my chicken start laying again? Are they broody?
Please Help me! This is my first batch of chickens so I am new too all this!

Thanks,
alindm1

Can you post pictures of them? Do they have bugs under their feathers? Are their legs smooth or do the scales stick up? What bedding do you use? Are their bugs in the bedding, nesting boxes or roof?

Are they hanging out in the nest boxes a lot? Or in a specific are that's sort of secluded? They could be broody. Broody chickens pluch their breast feathers to sit on eggs, and will sit even if there's no eggs.
Since they are the age they are they could be moulting, but they'd be loosing more than breast feathers for that.

The best way to put feathers on a chicken is higher protein. Feathers are made of protein. I'd restrict the chickens away from any areas they frequently "sit" in, and give them a little bit of cat food to help bring the feathers back in, or boiled eggs.

Can you post pictures of them? Do they have bugs under their feathers? Are their legs smooth or do the scales stick up? What bedding do you use? Are their bugs in the bedding, nesting boxes or roof?

I can post pictures soon. No bugs, smooth legs, for bedding I use hay, no bugs in the bedding

Are they hanging out in the nest boxes a lot? Or in a specific are that's sort of secluded? They could be broody. Broody chickens pluch their breast feathers to sit on eggs, and will sit even if there's no eggs.
Since they are the age they are they could be moulting, but they'd be loosing more than breast feathers for that.

The best way to put feathers on a chicken is higher protein. Feathers are made of protein. I'd restrict the chickens away from any areas they frequently "sit" in, and give them a little bit of cat food to help bring the feathers back in, or boiled eggs.
No they aren't staying in the nesting boxes, I can try giving them more protein!

Hmm, well it doesn't look infected or anything, personally I think it is going through a rough molt. It is acting normal right? Like does it act sick or something??

Hmm, well it doesn't look infected or anything, personally I think it is going through a rough molt. It is acting normal right? Like does it act sick or something??
Actually Completely normal except for the fact that she is more vocal than before and has stopped laying eggs for a few months now.

Oh she is fine she is just going through some changes with her molt, a chicken in it's lifetime goes through a big molting process, your bird will be just fine:) Let us now when she starts laying again!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom