please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rooster26, Oct 1, 2013.

1. rooster26

rooster26 New Egg

Oct 1, 2013
    rossville, ga
    I have 16 chickens from 10wks old to around a yr old... I've nevr had any problems with raisin chickens for the years I've been raisin them.. i bought a few RIR last week and now I've notice from time to time they have runny pooh and I've also seen traces/specs of blood in their pooh.. what's causing my chickens to be sick and what can i do to keep them alive????

2. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    Did you keep the RIRs apart from the rest of your flock? It's possible they brought something onto your property from where ever you got them from. I'd call the person you bought them from first and asked if they are vaccinated against common diseases and the flock's health history.

1 person likes this.
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Diarrhea and specks of blood in the poo may mean that they have coccidiosis. Any time chickens change locations they can be exposed to new strains of coccidia. Corid (amprollium) liquid 2 tsp per gallon of water (or 1 tsp of powder) for 5-7 would be the treatment. They also may need to be wormed, and have some probiotics put in their food.

4. rooster26

rooster26 New Egg

Oct 1, 2013
    rossville, ga
    I also thought of coccidiosis but from what i seen online it seems to be pretty much pure blood so i wasn't really sure. On the corid i had read to treat twice once for five days then again for seven days. so I'm not really sure. what wormer would yall recomend? I have heard a lot of good stuff about valbazen.. i have tried save-a-chick probiotic and electrolytes. thank you for the help

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Valbazen is the best since it gets all chicken worms. Safegard Goat wormer is also good, but shouldn't be used during molt. With Corid you can retreat with half-strength, or wait a week in between. Some recommend using the preventative dosing every 3 weeks for 5 days until they are grown.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  7. rooster26

rooster26 New Egg

Oct 1, 2013
    rossville, ga
    Pk so with the corid use 2 table spoons of liquid for one gallon of water for 5-7 days then should i take a breakin period before i do half strength for another five or seven days?? Then should i use valbazen after ivs used the corid or put it on a slice of bread while they are on the corid???? One more question id like to treat my 10wk olds also they are now in a different pin and i only have six at that age they are drinkin out of a quart waterer would it be ok to keep it mixed in a jug untill they have drank it all?? My other chickens are drinking out of a pan tthat holds probably two gallons but i always clean it out and give them fresh water before they come close to emptying it. id say every two or threee days depending on how fast they dirty it.. .

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Mix the Corid in small enough amounts for use every day. I would take a break before the half strength unless they are still sick. Some would worm at the same time, but I would wait--it really depends if you think it is cocci. That makes thempretty weak.

9. rooster26

rooster26 New Egg

Oct 1, 2013
    rossville, ga
    Thank you.. I'm not sure what it is but I'm thinking it might be coccidiosis... where is the best place to get corid? I seen the corid 20% powder for cattle... but not sure best place to order it.. i ordered verm-x today for worming

10. rooster26

rooster26 New Egg

Oct 1, 2013
    rossville, ga
    Thank you.. I'm not sure what it is but I'm thinking it might be coccidiosis... where is the best place to get corid? I seen the corid 20% powder for cattle... but not sure best place to order it.. i ordered verm-x today for worming

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by