Please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 2011dandd, Oct 16, 2013.

1. 2011dandd

2011dandd New Egg

Oct 16, 2013
    Hi
    My names dan my girlfriend and I are new members.

I have had chickens my whole life and never had any major issues with the health of my birds, but after putting a new flock together in a new home made up of different breads and sizes and some rescued hens, the whole flock of fourteen has come down with something which is seriously affecting there health.

The first to come down with this disease/virus I dealt with as I always have by isolating her until she had made a full recovery. But she must still be a carrier as they all have it now.

Please help with advice of any remedies and if vetrx is a solution

Symptoms

Pale comb
    Lazy mood
    Pale face
    No egg laying what so ever
    Crusting on the beak nostrils
    Swollen eyes
    Garggoling when breathing
    Unhappy looking birds
    Cock crow is strained and very quiet if he does it at all.

Thanks in advance for any help, cheers dan.

2. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    Welcome to BYC! Sounds like fowl pox to me. I treated this by putting tetracycline water out for them, mush food, and put antibiotic ointment on the comb, waddle, and earlobes. Were they vaccinated against fowl pox? Hope this helps!

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Vet Rx will not do any good as far as treatment although if rubbed on beaks it can help some with breathing in congested birds. I'd get some Tylan 50 from the feed store and start dosing the sick ones. It's not possible to know what they have without having lab work done on one or having necropsy done on one that passes. So many of the symptoms in these diseases mimic each other. However, what is common is that they can morph quickly into pneumonia/secondary bacterial infections. That is why it's best to treat symptomatic birds with antibiotic's. It won't cure them of any viral poultry disease they have but it will help prevent or cure pneumonia if they come down with it.

Tylan 50 is best used as an injectable but can also be given orally at a dose of 1/2 cc per day x 5 days. They also need to be kept warm, especially at night, while they are recovering.

This will probably be something you will have to deal with off and on with this flock as they do remain carriers and can have an outbreak when stressed. We had an outbreak of infectious bronchitis here two years ago. all survived with meds and TLC and only once did we have a minor reoccurrence with my rooster but it was very mild. Otherwise all have been well since. But we do maintain a closed flock, I don't bring in new, adult birds, I don't sell adults, chicks or eggs, no live birds leave this property, no showing, nothing. Kind of a bummer but it's the way it has to be.

Best of luck, this respiratory stuff is very common but it's no fun to deal with.

Edited to add: If this were fowl pox you would see the pox on the comb/wattles/face. It sounds more like a respiratory disease to me.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Your flock has no symptoms of fowl pox. Tetracycline won't treat fowl pox since it is a virus, but it could treat a respiratory disease such as mycoplasma, coryza, and secondary infections from infectious bronchitis. However, Tylan 50 injectable is a stronger antibiotic as Cafarmgirl said. Tylan soluble powder is an oral form that you can put in the water for many birds. If you care to read more about the diseases I mentioned click http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044here:

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2. I think it is a respiratory disease.

6. 2011dandd

2011dandd New Egg

Oct 16, 2013
    Thanks for the helpful replies, I will try the suggested remedies. Unfortunately ive had to cull two as i found them half dead.
    One was also covered in red mite which I'm puzzled about as I am thorough with cleaning the coop and treating the birds

7. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    X2

8. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    Your birds have respiratory illness. You need to treat as eggcessive said or they will probably all die.

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm not sure where you live, but red mite is very hard to control since they usually come out at night. Chemical treatment such as Sevin dust (carbaryl) or permethrin is needed, plus cleaning out the coop and nests, then spraying all surfaces and dusting the floor. Are they getting meds for their respiratory symptoms? With many respiratory diseases that are chronic such as mycoplasma and coryza, culling, cleaning and disinfecting, then starting over in a few weeks is what some people do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by