PLEASE HELP!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jkl79, Aug 24, 2008.

1. jkl79

jkl79 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2008
    Central TX
    My buff orpington girls are just about 5 months old but we haven't gotten eggs yet. Over the past 2 days, one of the girls has gotten INCREDIBLY noisy in the morning. We can't quiet her down and live in a suburban area where this type of noise won't be tolerated. Is this a sign that she's about to start laying? Does anyone have any suggestions about how to quiet down a noisy pullet? I know they're just animals and this is an instinctive behavior, but I'm hoping someone might have a suggestion. Thanks!!

2. ChickyPooh

ChickyPooh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    South GA
    She's probly gonna start laying soon and thats normal. She's telling the world she's layed an egg. give her about two weeks and she should be laying, at least thats how it was with my hens.

3. jkl79

jkl79 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2008
    Central TX
    Once they start laying, will they continue to make this noise? This is like a high pitched shrieking sound. I had chickens as a child and don't remember this much noise. If she continues (and the others join in), I'm not sure I can keep the flock. I'm very sad.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm not positive on this, but yeah I think they do keep making the noise. [​IMG]
    I only have one hen laying right now, a light brahma, she was making a racket for a few days right before she got to actual laying, but she has since stopped. What surprised me is that when she actually goes into the nest to lay, she doesn't make a peep; no sound at all. She just lays the egg and then goes about her business.
    I'm sure there are breeds that are noisier about it than others.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Yep, they are noisey. They like to express themselves after egg laying.

6. jkl79

jkl79 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2008
    Central TX
    Thank you all for your input! I've noticed they they've all become much noisier the past few days (but this one buff in particular is very loud). One of my silkies just laid an egg and she started making the same noise. We'll see how it goes from here on out.

7. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Hmm... my silkie makes very little noise at all. I've found them to be so very quite. Thats compared to my neighbor's chickens who I hear on ocassion. I think they have RIR. It may be the breed, or they could begin immitating each other with the laying procedure?!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  8. jkl79

jkl79 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2008
    Central TX
    That's interesting because my silkies are older and have been laying for a few months whereas none of my others have started yet. The silkies have always made a little noise while laying - but not nearly as loudly as the BO has been. I hope they at least start to lay soon so I can bribe my neighbors with eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by