1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

please help!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by oakley, Nov 20, 2013.

1. oakley

oakley Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2013
    one of our chicks hatched roughly 12 hrs ago and he will not stand!! when I hold him though there is movement in his legs its kinda like he just cant hold his body weight!! ive also noticed his bellys a little swollen!! his butt is clear though!! can anyone recommend or suggest anything please?? I feel terrible for him the poor darling!!

2. oakley

Nov 20, 2013
    oh I must add too that he seems to not be in any pain and is very strong besides the legs!!

3. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Could be splayed legs. Get a bandaid and cut it in half lengthwise . Wrap one leg with one sticky end leaving wound part between legs and then wrap other leg. Like this.[​IMG]
    Sorry that's the best pic I have. Go to search bar at top of page and type in splayed leg, I'm sure there is a very informative page on it. This little guy came good within 3 days and has never looked back.

4. oakley

Nov 20, 2013
    thankyou for your reply!! ive gotten more info on this and we will be def giving this a go!! when we were just bout to tape the legs though I noticed a black small thing coming out his backside!! he does have a swollen belly and we have wiped his bum over but this seems to be kinds stuck inside...???... I don't want to pull it as surely that cant be good!! ive noticed its kinda like a plug as ive tried to wipe it!! sheesh this is the only issue weve had so far with the chicks!! this ones def got my stress levels on high :/

5. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    No , I certainly wouldn't pull at it. It's probably too young to be pasty butt, but you should probably research that as well. Put a little dash of apple cider vinegar in the water to be on the safe side.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by