1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

PLEASE HELP!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sunnyraven, Mar 4, 2014.

1. sunnyraven

sunnyraven New Egg

Mar 4, 2014
    Apex, NC
    I found my 3yo australorp hen still roosting in the coop at 11am. She is extremely lethargic and passing pale yellow diarrhea?? It almost has consistency of the white in an egg... I felt her pelvis and she is very swollen around her cloaca. She is free range with 6 other hens and a rooster. I am really worried about her...her name is Black Beauty.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Is it possible that she has been egg bound, and the egg, whether shell-less or hard, has broken inside her? Is her vent prolapsed or just swollen--is there any pink tissue outside the vent? If you have any calcium on hand--Tums, calcium tablets, or even pulverized egg shells, I would crush one and give it to her in something she likes such as yogurt or scrambled egg. Then if you can soak her in very warm water up to her wings (epsom salts can be added if you happen to have any.) Take a rubber glove with lubricatnt and feel inside the vent for any remnants of egg shell and try to remove them. Then give her a little vinegar douche with an ounce of vinegar in 1 quart of water--it helps to squirt in 2 tablespoonsfull with a syringe. This would clean out the vent to prevent infection. Here is a link to read: http://www.avianweb.com/eggbinding.html

If you think she is too lethargic or is not egg bound don't do the bath. A picture of her droppings may be helpful.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  3. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  4. sunnyraven

sunnyraven New Egg

Mar 4, 2014
    Apex, NC
    Ty for the feedback! Her vent is normal appearing but when I palpate in that area it is squishy like it's filled with fluid and prob the size of 1/2 grapefruit???...
    Here r some pics I just took:
    [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

5. sunnyraven

sunnyraven New Egg

Mar 4, 2014
    Apex, NC
    [​IMG]

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  8. sunnyraven

sunnyraven New Egg

Mar 4, 2014
    Apex, NC
    Ty! I think it is probably EYP. I am a vet tech (not working currently:()so I am going to sample some of the fluid. I read baytril or amoxicillin would work but the feed stores only have tetracycline :(. Any suggestions there? I didn't think she would have ascites from liver or kidney malfunction bc she is only 3yo...am I wrong in thinking that? I am also going to internally palpate to check for reminants of a shell.

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by