PLEASE HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by broodyhen2, Mar 7, 2014.

1. broodyhen2

broodyhen2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2014
    hello everybody
    I am starting my first breeding flock but I'm not sure what breed and how many chickens should I get I am open to all suggestions
    Thanks

2. Only you can make those decisions.

But since you asked.....Start with 25 White Leghorns. They are THE BEST!

I hope you find great joy in search of YOUR FAVORITE CHICKENS. Plural intended.

Wish ya the best.

3. CarolinaHen

CarolinaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2013
    South Carolina
    Everyone has their own favorite breed. My favorites are my Brahmas and my Easter Eggers. Wait..... can't forget my Silkies...... or my Seramas......... [​IMG]

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Well, you're going to have to narrow things down a little. Do you want bantams or LF? What color eggs? A solid colored bird or patterned? Clean legged or feather legged? Do you want a broody breed or one that forages well or one that doesn't mind confinement?

5. broodyhen2

broodyhen2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2014
    I would like bantams but I don't want to incubate their eggs what would be a good breed to hatch their eggs
    Thanks for the replies

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Bantam old English games, bantam Cochins and silkies come to mind. Games are active and can forage well. Silkies would not be a good choice for a free range flock. Cochins can be found in smooth feather and frizzled. All 3 breeds come in a variety of colors. All 3 tend towards broodiness and make excellent mothers.

There are also bantam Orpingtons and Wyandottes.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  7. Bantam White Leghorns!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by