Please help!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by southtx, Mar 11, 2014.

1. southtx

southtx Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2013
    One of my girls dug her way under part of the coop today. When I came around to check on them this afternoon she was stuck. Now, part of the feathers on her leg are missing, no bloody area, but her bottom area is swollen and there are no feathers. I have never had this happen before and am unsure what to look for. She has been moved away from the other hens and is eating and will let me hold and pet her. I am unsure if she is swollen because she was stuck half under the coop and was unable to lay or if she was digging to get away from other hens. Typically, all 6 of the hens have gotten on fine and we have been blessed to get half a dozen eggs almost daily. My hens are a year old this month- and I am a year into raising hens- please help. Any and all advice welcome. Not sure what to do with my girl in sick bay.
    Thanks- SouthTX

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Has it been hot there where you live? I'm betting the hen dug under there to enjoy the damp coolness. Chickens can get themselves into some pretty ridiculous situations.

What you need to do is go examine one of your other hens and see if what you think is swollen on the injured hen isn't actually just a normal feature that all of them have.

I know I've jumped to conclusions during a stressful moment and mistaken a normal swelling for something serious.

I'm going to take a guess and say that your hen should be fine, and her feathers should grow back in time. I would return her to the others before she loses status in the pecking order and have an ordeal fitting back in.

3. southtx

southtx Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2013
    Good advice, it hasn't been hot, but yesterday was the warmest day we have had in a while. I will check out the other ones and compare. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by