PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by familyof4, Sep 13, 2008.

1. familyof4

familyof4 New Egg

Sep 13, 2008
    I have had my hen for about 5 years and my rooster for about 5. Recently he as been viciously attacking her. Why and what to do about it?? I am just so upset and need answers!! Hen is a Blue Cochin Rooster is a Barnevelder. I have 2 Hens and 1 Rooster. I had 4 hens, 2 passed last year. A hawk got one and her sister died not soon after.

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Maybe he is giving her too much attention because the roo:hen ratio is too high?

Adding another couple hens might help.... hey - any excuse to get more chickens [​IMG]

3. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    I say get more hens so rooster is happy again. [​IMG]

4. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    See when 2 or more agree listen and get more hens. LOL. Good luck
    [​IMG]

5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I think the suggested absolute minimum is 6 hens to a roo. Otherwise the roo over mates the hens and tears all their feathers out. There are also chicken saddles that cover that area of the back for roos that are too rough. Just do a search on google or this forum.

6. familyof4

familyof4 New Egg

Sep 13, 2008
    Thank you all so much for your help!! It just seemed so strange that all of a sudden he started picking on her, he was literally on her pecking and scratching her to the point of her bleeding. I ran down there and he jumped off, but now I am so scard he will do it again. The three of them have lived happily together for over a year since my other 2 hens passed away. There has never been a problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by