Please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladydebra, Aug 11, 2014.

1. ladydebra

ladydebra New Egg

Aug 10, 2014
    Wales u.k
    My hybrid is super skinny legs feet gullet all fine not egg bound not worms eating a small amount but very lethargic tail down coat dull tried cider vinegar in wAter last night she has done two almighty large poops today and I mean jumbo size more like a dogs size no mites, worried I will loose her would love any suggestions to help my mrs brown

2. fleedo

fleedo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2012
    you could try force feeding her or giving he protean rich food and treats like meal worms

please specify a bit more because [​IMG]

3. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Sorry, need more answers to begin to help...

Is/was she in lay?

How old is she?

Have you any ideas of how long she's been losing weight for?

Has she been acting abnormally?

What color and consistency were her poops?

Best wishes, hope your pullet makes it.

4. ladydebra

ladydebra New Egg

Aug 10, 2014
    Wales u.k
    Yes she has been laying for about 10 weeks poop was brown mostly with bit of white on top quite solid in form she has been acting strange for 3 days lethargic standing on her own a lot she is 35-37 weeks old have hand fed her some bits all day today but she takes small nibbles only and has actually spat some out haven't seen her drink today have put fluids onto her beak don't know what else to do she is mostly sleeping

5. fleedo

fleedo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2012
    you will need to force feed her and give her treats like meal worms and make sure she is not egg bound please

6. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    There's a good chance she is internally blocked up by the sounds of that, if it's a short term issue which has caused such wasting it's often internal blockage, whether it's crop, gizzard or egg.

Is she standing normally or squatting? Straining/panting? If so it's likely egg binding.

I would give her at least a tablespoon of cold pressed olive oil orally to help flush her system. Another thing you should probably do is check her crop first thing in the morning to see if it's emptied properly overnight; for this to work you may need to cage her somewhere she can't eat in the morning before you check her.

Also you need to check for an egg being bound but she would be adopting some characteristic behaviors i.e. tilting her vent towards the ground and straining/panting almost as a rule if that were the case. There's a chance she's doing this when you're not looking.

To me, though, it sounds like she is probably internally blocked in either crop or stomach, possibly too much fiber like long bits of grass, or a foreign object. No matter what the blockage is the olive oil should help shift it and will also provide vitamin E which helps with pain and flexibility of capillaries and mucosal tissues, including everything from mouth to vent. Loss of flexibility of those tissues occurs when they're raised on diets with no uncooked oils in them (pellets, crumbles etc only have cooked oils and often they're harmful ones like mineral oil, cottonseed oil, synthetic vitamin E, etc)... Loss of flexibility due to lack of raw and natural vitamin E causes everything from cardiovascular problems to egg binding and premature aging.

Best wishes, hope you find what's wrong and are able to fix it. If taking the animal to a vet is a financial option for you, that may help, or it may not, many vets are clueless or only vaguely aware of how to treat poultry.

1 person likes this.
  7. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    I personally wouldn't force feed her until you know what's causing the issue; adding vitamin/mineral mix to her water should be sufficient to keep her going while the cause of the issue is found. At a pinch honey, preferably raw or cold-processed honey, contains a great spectrum of vitamins, minerals, electrolytes, probiotics, antibiotics, etc and can be a lifesaver. Refined white sugar feeds bad things (freeloader species of opportunistic bacteria, cancer, viruses etc) so I would not give her that, only raw sugar if you can't get honey or vitamin/nutrient mix.

Best wishes.

8. ladydebra

ladydebra New Egg

Aug 10, 2014
    Wales u.k

9. ladydebra

ladydebra New Egg

Aug 10, 2014
    Wales u.k
    She is definitely brighter today not squatting eating a bit even ran to me thank you so much for all you advise

10. ladydebra

ladydebra New Egg

Aug 10, 2014
    Wales u.k

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by