1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

please help

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CCC luv, Aug 26, 2014.

1. CCC luv

CCC luv Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2014
    Hello, I'm brand new here and not sure if I'm even doing this right but here is my situation....I bought a red comet last Saturday at the flee market and have two chickens other than her...I'm new to this chicken stuff and didn't realize she was sick until we got her home...my other two were around her for like 20 minutes and then I quarantined her. she looks healthy but she just stands with her eyes closed and very legarthic and has dark green poo with white, then noticed her nose was running bad also and she sneezes , she eats but very little and I cannot get her to drink at all ( very little ) what I could barely force down her with a syringe and trick her into drinking a tiny bit when I give her a half of tomato....been giving her electrolyte water but she will not drink!!!! also I started her on Tylan 50 Sunday night along with VETRX. Today will be the start of day 3 and still no sign of improvement yet......I don't know what else to do or what she has or if I could even get her better and if I do....will she be a carrier and does that mean I can never put her with the other two or get more later???? HELP PLEASE....ADVICE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

I'm sorry about your hen. [​IMG]What dosage of Tylan50 are you using, and how are you administering it? If you're doing everything right and it isn't working, then she probably has a viral infection. If that is the case, antibiotics will be ineffective--the only way for her to recover is for her body's immune system to fight off the infection.

For more responses, I would post this in the emergencies section of the forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Don't feel bad about not noticing that she was sick. Everyone makes mistakes.

Good luck with your hen!

1 person likes this.
  3. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC!

You did the right thing by separating her. Make sure she stays warm. First I would worm them all. Use something like safeguard liquid (for goats) or valbazen. Next try to feed her some scrambled eggs. Keep offering her water every so often.

Check her over for mites/lice. If she has something then you're going to want to spray/dust everything. You can use permethrin (comes in liquid and dust), sevin, wood ash. I'll try to find links for all this stuff.

1 person likes this.
  4. CCC luv

Aug 26, 2014
    can anyone see my post? :/

5. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Yes, sometimes it takes a while for people to see a new post. You have to give them a minute to read, process, and respond.

1 person likes this.
  6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. You've received some good advice already.

1 person likes this.
  7. CCC luv

Aug 26, 2014
    Thanks Batam lover I needed the hug :) I have gave her a 1/2cc dose Sun. night by injection because she wont drink :/ yesterday I gave her two 1/4 injections and got on here for advice before I start her meds today....I have a red heat lamp on her trying to keep her warm and propped her up in my largr dog crate beside the window so she can get sunlight, so far I haven't wormed her only because the man at the feedstore said not to worm a sick chicken......as soon as I find the rooster booster wormer I am gonna worm the others....so far they are still acting fine fingers crossed, they did not pick it up upon their short introduction :/ oh and I have given her warm scrambled eggs which she seemed to enjoy before she closes her eyes and just sleeps again....the green poo and her not drinking also has me real concerned though

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about your new hen, X2 on post in the Emergencies forum that BantamLover21 linked for you for help with diagnosing her.

1 person likes this.
  9. CCC luv

Aug 26, 2014
    also, she doesn't appear to have mites or skin problems, other than the symptoms I mentioned...she looks healthy....poor girl :(

10. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I think it's important to worm her. Her dealing with the wormer while she's not feeling well would be better than her fighting off an infestation.

Edit: Also it's important to quarantine all new birds in the future. I too learned the hard way. Good luck.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by