1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Amber97, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Amber97

Amber97 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2014
    I have a Beautiful white crested female duck with blueish eyes ,and a Handsome Mallard drake both 5 months. I bought them from Tractor Supply and they got them in free runs. So i had no idea what the sex was and I had to buy two because of store policy or i would have only bought one. I know that crested ducks are born with a hole in their skull and its covered with fatty tissue which forms the poof of feathers on top of their head. Unfortunately i had no idea about crested ducks until i got her, and i had recently been told that if my ducks do mate and my mallard pulls on her crest she can die. Is that true? and is their any way i can prevent them from matting. i DO NOT want to get rid of one because they are both my babies and their both so sweet and have great personalities, so thats out the question.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  2. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do to stop ducks from mating! It's true that female crested ducks can be gravely injured from males biting them while mounting, but it can be easily circumvented by separating them when mating season rolls around.

3. Amber97

Amber97 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2014
    If I do separate them during matting season would they get depressed away from eachother?

4. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    I seriously doubt it. They might be mildly frustrated, but nothing they won't get over. :)

5. mmmeyer

mmmeyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    south jersey
    for their own safety keep them separated. They'll just have to deal with the disappointment

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by