Please help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Breaux Chicks, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Breaux Chicks

Breaux Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2014
    Lafayette, La
    Someone Please Help!!! Can you please tell me what's wrong with our sweet Gloria? We noticed the bumps around 4 days ago. They seem to be spreading. We thought they were mosquitoe bites. We live in Southern Louisiana. We had lots of mosquitoes in the coop. We are working on that. She is still eating and drinking and running around although my husband did witness her falling asleep today. She hasn't laid an egg in about 3 days. Is it Fowl Pox? I'm so worried. She looks so sad. Do we need to separate of her from the others? We have 4 others. Please help. Thank uou[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think it looks like fowl pox. If any lesions get near the eyes, use plain neosporin ointment in the eyes daily. Check inside her beak and throat for any yellow patches that could be wet pox. Make sure she is eating normally since they will not feel well. The disease lasts 3-5 weeks, and there is no treatment unless you want to put iodine on scabs to dry them up, but not near eyes. Secondary infections can occur with wet pox. Here is some information to read:
    http://www.hyline.com/aspx/redbook/redbook.aspx?s=5&p=35
    http://animalscience.ucdavis.edu/Avian/Fowlpox.pdf
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/avian-pox-how-to-treat-your-chickens-for-avian-pox

1 person likes this.
  3. Breaux Chicks

Oct 30, 2014
    Lafayette, La
    Thank you so much for the information. I hope my little ladies get better. I love them do much. I've read some information and will start disinfecting the coop. Thank you

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Definitely fowl pox. Mainly transmitted by mosquitos. If you have vents on your hen house, screen them. You can hang screen at the entrance to their house, slice the screen vertically so the birds can walk through it to go to roost or nestbox.Try to eliminate standing water in your yard ie...bird baths, old tires, buckets etc...
    Give your sick hen buttermilk mixed with scrambled egg in her feed as a mash to eat for a few days. Buttermilk is a better probiotic than yogurt and is easily absorbed. It will help build up her immune system. Yogurt tends to pass through their system. The scrambled egg has extra protein to help her rebuild strength.

5. Breaux Chicks

Oct 30, 2014
    Lafayette, La
    Thank you for having me!
    Update on Gloria!!
    She is doing amazing. We have been feeding her scrambled eggs (her and Marie's eggs) mixed with buttermilk. It has really made a difference in her energy. She is happy and it even looks like she's gotten bigger! Oh! And she even laid an egg today. She's on her way to being all better. Thank y'all for caring about Gloria. Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by