Please help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 1Cluckygirl, Jan 5, 2015.

1. 1Cluckygirl

1Cluckygirl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2015
    I have two chicks, about 6 weeks old I think. I got them from a meat market shop so I have no idea what breeds they might be. They're probably just mutts, but if you guys have any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

This is Bertha, but I think she might be a he!
    [​IMG]

This is Elaina. She doesn't have all her big girl feathers yet, but she's coming in with this lovely speckley pattern.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

Both are undoubtedly cockerels. Bertha is a Barred Rock, Elaina is Easter Egger.

3. 1Cluckygirl

Jan 4, 2015

How can you tell? I was really hoping for girls because I can't have roos.

4. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

First, the Barred one is light enough the he has two copies of the barring gene--females can not have two copies.

Second, the Easter Egger has the three-rowed peacomb that is very big and bright red for such a young guy. He also has the classic red coming in on his shoulders.

ETA: sorry to say, but a "meat market" is probably not the best place to buy pullets.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    x2. The Easter Egger is feathering in very slowly which tends to be a male trait as well.

6. 1Cluckygirl

Jan 4, 2015
    My husband found the shop in LA and bought them for me on a whim. I'll have to figure out what to do with them now that I can't keep them.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by