Please help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickybae, Jan 8, 2015.

1. chickybae

chickybae Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2014
    I just recently adopted two 5 month silkies. They were sneezing and wheezing a bit. But today, they both have bubbles in their eyes, and green goop all over! :( the rooster us foam in his mouth. I put them both inside with a heat lamp and gave them some water with Apple cider vinigar. Is there anything else I can do!?? I want them to live and they don't seem to well. :(

2. SweetJoy7

SweetJoy7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2013
  3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Your birds have a respiratory disease. I hope you do not have other birds because you can easily spread this to them if you do. They will most likely need antibiotic's to get over whatever this is. Some of these diseases are bacterial, many are viral. Antibiotic's won't cure the disease, they will remain carrier's, but it will help prevent or clear up pneumonia and secondary bacterial infections that might otherwise kill the bird. They need to be kept warm and make sure they get plenty of fluids. It would be a good idea, if at all possible, to take one of these birds to an avian vet and have some lab work done to see if you can find out what this is. Some of these diseases are much harder to deal with/manage then others in terms of how often they come back or how chronic they are. Even after these birds have recovered they will remain carriers with the potential to infect other birds you have or may get in the future. Just something to keep in mind and the reason some people choose to cull sick birds. Other people who keep a closed flock and do not breed nor sell birds, chicks or hatching eggs will treat the birds and keep them. Hope this helps.

4. chickybae

chickybae Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2014
    I bought them from a show breeder..they had pine shavings for bedding, but since I have had them, they have been free ranged outside with access to a shelter with big pine shavings and a heat lamp. They have been kinda sneezy since I got them, but thought nothing of it. Now it has just exploded and its bad all in one night. What kind of antibiotics can I give them? I do not have money for a vet. :/ I have heard a little vics vapor on the tip of the beak and under the wings will help them breath. Is that ok?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by