PLEASE HELP!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AllAboutMyGirls, Jan 19, 2015.

1. AllAboutMyGirls

AllAboutMyGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2015
    MD & VA
    I ordered 15 chicks from a hatchery that had really good reviews. When I picked them up 2 were already dead in the box and 1 was almost died. The one that was almost dead had its eyes closed and kept opening and closing its mouth. In the last 30 min of her life she would make almost a clicking noise when she took a breath. In a matter of five days the rest of my chicks died the same way. I have never seen anything like this before. Has anyone experienced this? If so do u know what my poor babies were suffering from?

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Sorry for your losses. It sounds like they were stressed/cold/dehydrated. When you got them, did you immediately put them under the light for heat? They need to have their beaks dipped into the water so they know how/where to drink. The water tray should be very shallow or topped up with pebbles so they don't fall in and drown. You always need to check their bums too, just in case they have pasty butt, although that would be unlikely since they haven't been feeding yet.
    The 2 most important things for chicks is heat and hydration. Some folks use sugar water, Sav-a-chick or similar product to give them a good start.
    Sad to say, but losing 2 or 3 chicks out of 15 is expected/acceptable. If you followed all of the above, I would contact the hatchery and let them know what happened.

3. TXTiffany

TXTiffany Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012
    I ordered 35 from Strombergs. The first day I lost two, and the second day I lost one. No losses the last two days. I think everyone else has recovered from the stress. I'm sorry you lost so many. Did you lose them all?

4. catjac

catjac New Egg

Jun 20, 2013
    Did you call them?

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Sounds like shipping stress. Call the hatchery asap to start a refund or replacement.
    How far did the birds have to travel? 15 really doesn't sound like enough to stay warm this time of year if they're going any distance. You might consider adding more to the order or having the hatchery include packing peanuts for warmth.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. AllAboutMyGirls

Jan 19, 2015
    MD & VA
    I called the hatchery and they are giving me a refund but the money isn't really my concern. When I got them home they all went right under the EcoGlow and I did dip their beaks into the water. I gave them sugar water and the hatchery told me to give them a scrambled egg (which I did). Nothing really seemed to help. The one thing I did forget to say was when they would start passing they would tilt their heads back gasping for air. I'm really starting to get worried that what the chicks had might affect my other hens.

7. AllAboutMyGirls

Jan 19, 2015
    MD & VA
    Yes, I lost all 15 babies. They were in transit for two days. The hatchery told me that all their hens are vaccinated for everything so the chicks must have come in contact with something on the trip.

8. HTPickles

HTPickles New Egg

Jan 5, 2015
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    The process of death you describe is not specific to the cause of their death. What you describe is simply the dying process for all animals. I'm guessing they were without food or water, and were too cold, for too long. Given that some were dead when you received them, I'm guessing there was nothing you could have done as they were all already beyond the point where simple measures would have lead to their recovery. Lethargy and gasping for air is a very late finding before death; rapid breathing is an earlier sign of distress. Your chicks had exhausted their limited physiologic reserve. Being a human medic I keep supplies for subcutaneous fluids and tube feedings for my older hens, but would never attempt it on a newborn. Sorry you had to experience that.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree with Pickles. I can't see chicks coming into contact with something that would not only incubate, but be virulent enough to kill in 2days. I still think they got too cold and there's no risk to your current birds.

10. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Unfortunately, sometimes they are at a point that no amount of basic supportive care most are comfortable offering can bring them back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by