1. TheLifeOfRylee

TheLifeOfRylee New Egg

Jan 19, 2015
    Hi everyone, I am a new subscriber but have been reading this site for weeks, since I first got our chicks. One of my chicks was stretching her mouth a bunch yesterday and by this afternoon she was very lethargic and then died:( I am knew to chickens and am really worried about our three other chicks. This morning I ran and got her antibiotics (was recommended to me) and fed them through a dropper into her mouth. Does anyone have any idea what happened, what I should do to protect my other girls and how to better handle something like this in the future?

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    You should move the remaining chicks to a new brooder and/or sanitize the feeders, waterers, and the brooder that the infected chick lived in.

1 person likes this.
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could your chick have been eating the bedding? If you are using pine shavings, they will sometimes eat a bit of it when they are learning what their food looks like, and can end up with an impacted crop. Another possibility would be that the chick had a respiratory infection and died. How old are the chicks? Where did they come from? Did you notice the chick eating, and what did the droppings look like?

4. TheLifeOfRylee

TheLifeOfRylee New Egg

Jan 19, 2015
    The girls are 4-5 weeks old. I do use pine shavings, but don't know if she ate some. The poop is a little runny... Not too bad, seems that it hasn't changed much since I got them. I got them from a farm here in town. I hate to say it, but this is the first I am learning about their crop, I will have to do some research. The other three are acting normal. So sad I lost this girl:( I have heard that it's best to keep them in even numbers, but also that it is dangerous to introduce new birds to the flock. Any thoughts on that? Thank you for responding, I am falling in love with raising these girls and want to make sure I take the best care of them that I can.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Usually it is the very young chicks who eat the pine shavings. Make sure the bedding is clean and dry. If any others show symptoms, check back here.

6. duck mom 1103

duck mom 1103 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2015
    ontario
    I had a duck who when just born it seemed not to thrive, I didn’t think it was getting enough nutrients so I gave a little baby formula and it turned right around

7. TheLifeOfRylee

TheLifeOfRylee New Egg

Jan 19, 2015
    Thanks for your responses. Now I am noticing runny poop:( is that indicative of a problem? There is so much information out there and so many things it could be.... I am worried and a little overwhelmed:( should I be?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by