Please Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MelBell89, Jan 24, 2015.

1. MelBell89

MelBell89 New Egg

Jan 24, 2015
    Me and my husband have a mix of male and female Dominiques. They are about 4 months old, so they are just babies. We had 3 of our chickens die and we have 3 more that are very lethargic and sick. We are new to chicken raising and aren't sure what it could be and if there is anything I can do to nurse them back to health.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

List all the symptoms please.

Sounds like it could be coccidiosis to me but I'd like to hear what is wrong precisely.

3. MelBell89

MelBell89 New Egg

Jan 24, 2015
    They are just laying there and when they try to stand up they fall back over. I got them to eat and drink a little bit today but not much. If it is coccidiosis, how do I prevent our other chickens from getting sick? And is there anything I can do to save the sick babies?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  4. ChickensAreSweet

OK since they are still quite young if they were my chickens I would give them Corid to treat for supposed coccidiosis. I have actually had to treat some 4 month olds for that and it saved them.

However, there is always the risk that it is something else, like a bacterial infection.

Just telling you what I'd do!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/coccidiosis-how-to-treat-it

5. MelBell89

MelBell89 New Egg

Jan 24, 2015
    Where is that medication available at? I'm so sad. I really hope I can save them.

6. ChickensAreSweet

They sell it at the feed store, in the cattle section. They have powder and liquid. I use the liquid.

7. ChickensAreSweet

You can do a byc search for corid also- there are lots of threads if you are interested in reading up on it- others' experiences etc.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  8. MelBell89

MelBell89 New Egg

Jan 24, 2015
    Ok, thank you so very much for your help! I really appreciate it!

9. ChickensAreSweet

You are welcome!

Also I wanted to add that with Corid I see improvement within 24 hours or so- they should be getting more energetic and so on if that was the problem.

Keep an eye, since there are more strains of coccidiosis and Corid doesn't cover them all. Or if it is bacterial, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by